Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1989 Case 580K Master Cylinder Rebuild

Ed1 ยท 2019-06-01 12:57

Hey guys. So both my master cylinders were leaking on my 1989 Case 580K backhoe. I found a puddle of oil in the floor of the cab and it wasn't hard to trace it up to those guys. So I have rebuilt them and am ready to reinstall. I haven't been able to find any info on the process and don't have the service manual. I know they'll need to be bled, but where? Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide? Thanks in advance!!

Replies12
  1. #1Tuck662019-06-01 13:17

    Morning Ed...heads up...check info for correct fluid. The turd that rebuilt mine, filled and used brake fluid.Makes the scrap bin fill up faster then. They actually should use hyd oil...good luck on bleeding & back in seat soon.

  2. #2Ed12019-06-01 13:19

    Thanks man. As far as I know brake fluid was never used.

  3. #3Tuck662019-06-01 13:26

    I found this from sheepfoot post..hope it helps ya...

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-06-01 13:29
  5. #5Ed12019-06-01 14:44

    You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!

  6. #6Ed12019-06-01 15:18

    Do you guys know if you have to remove the floor to get to those fittings? I've heard that but am not sure.

  7. #7old and slow2019-06-01 16:29

    Bench bleed the master cylinders, get a hose and and fitting or a short piece of tube with the 05 inverted flare nut fill and place hose in fluid. Pump until all the air is gone. Will save you alot of time. Then proceed with bleeding procedure.

  8. #8Ed12019-06-01 16:32

    Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to know where the fittings to bleed on the transaxle are?

  9. #9old and slow2019-06-01 16:51

    I am not familiar with that machine follow the brake lines, you will find them. Use a 6 point socket to break them loose, then switch to a wrench, it sucks to round them off.

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2019-06-01 17:10

    Which 580K do you have? If you have the phase 1 with four speed shifter coming up out of floor you can get to bleeders from underneath the machine. If you have the phase 3 machine with the four speed shifter in the right hand console then you have to remove the rear floor plate that is under the backhoe control tower.

  11. #11alrman2019-06-01 18:48

    I have resealed many 580K master cylinders without the need to bleed the system at the transaxle. Just be sure to bleed the cylinders before refitting as @old and slow says. A few pumps of the pedals & away you go. ***TIP - when fitting the main seal/cup on the piston, you need to STTTRRRREEEETTTCCCHHH the heck out of it to get it in place. Be sure to polish the edges of the piston at the install end & groove where the seal fits, as they get a very sharp edge on them which can cut the new seal ..... requiring a new seal kit to replace it......

  12. #12Ed12019-06-02 05:41

    Coy I have the phase 1, which sounds like a good thing in this case. Alrman, 10-4 on the bench bleed, and you're not kidding about those seals! I kept thinking I had the wrong kit!! But they're all back together and hopefully solve my problem.