Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1989 D3C transmission fix

brabe ยท 2012-04-16 12:23

Hey guy i needs some info on transmission repair job. I am thinking on buying a small cat d3c year 1989 for the farm. The problem is the owner says the transmission needs some work. I drove it today. It will go in reverse and cut each way but it will not cut or turn going forward. Reverse seems ok but forward is not. Can anyone give me any info on how big a job to fix this might be. Any tips or recomendation? I believe I can get it bought right to justify fixing it up just need to get a little better idea as i have never worked on a dozer before.

Replies6
  1. #1pp13bnos2012-04-16 21:48

    Is that the 3 forward, 3 reverse, or is that the 3 F, 1 reverse? You have a Vin number?

  2. #2brabe2012-04-17 09:46

    3f and 3reverse. 1989 5kg01183 tranny is 1BA09617

  3. #3pp13bnos2012-04-20 01:42

    Wish I could help, but I've never had to get into the turning brakes in my D3C so I'm not going to be much of an authority. Is there an excessive amount of pedal travel by chance?

  4. #4brabe2012-04-20 09:30

    it turns going in reverse with normal pedal travel. In forward there is excessive pedal travel ( to the Floor) and it does not turn either way???

  5. #5oldtom2012-10-19 02:27

    will it push a load dirt plus if you do steer/clutch/brakes up grade too wet housing

  6. #6Bob/Ont2012-10-19 09:54

    Sounds like brake bands worn out or maybe just need adjustment. Clean off steering clutch case top. look for a small oval cover near the housing the linkage connects to. The oldest need cover removed to adjust, later have a 9/16 hex through the cover, the newest have extensions up beside the seat. Adjust the rods until pedal travel is up a bit then come back will talk more then Later Bob