Hey guys, A friend of mine has a 1952 Cat D4. He was moving some bolders around his yard with it and the dozer was doing just fine. His son got on the thing and the next thing my friend knew is that the dozer wasn't moving very well. It would roll along on flat ground, but as soon as he tried to push anything it would feel like the clutch is slipping. He pulled the plate off and his brother had tried to adjust a linkage inside to put more pressure on the clutch. However, we realized this really only changes the position of the outside lever and doesn't do anything to push the clutch further on. They drained some really nasty thick oil out of the clutch housing. Not being heavy equipment guys they refilled it with hydrostatic oil----5 gallons. So, today, I pulled the cover off and looked at the function. I believe there is supposed to be some type of oil in there as there is a tube to drip oil onto what looks to be a throwout bearing. He doesn't have a service manual and I didn't find much info online about a D4 of this vintage. This D4 will move pretty well after sitting for a day or so which leads me to believe a few things: The clutch probably is worn, but not totally worn out. That it is probably an oil contamination issue since the clutch is now partially submerged. My speculation is the part of the clutch that stays above the oil level has some holding capacity, but after running for a few minutes the whole clutch becomes saturated and slips. However, the one thing working against the idea of oil contamination is the problem started before he put in all the oil. A few questions: 1. Is there a way to adjust for a clutch that is getting thin? 2. What type of oil would go in the clutch housing? 3. How much oil goes in the clutch housing? The engine on this dozer runs so good. Hopefully, there is some life left in the clutch. thanks in advance, Mark Berkshire Transmissions North Adams, Massachusetts
I think that clutch has an adjustment inside the housing that you unlock and adjust like a truck i also think that one runs in 30wt oil .Does it not have a dipstick or fill cap?
There is a dipstick for the trans. I did not see a dipstick for the clutch housing. Is there a level plug on the side perhaps? Mark
Maybe I am not sure on that one I know the 955 of that era and the D4D early 60s had a dipstick
As far as I know D4's of that era were all dry clutches.The thick oil they drained was probably transmission oil that seeped in,a fairly normal occurence.The throwout acts on some finger levers in there that tighten the clutch disc to the flywheel.To adjust the clutch you turn the finger lever collar toward the clutch after you loosen the locking bolt on the collar.Your best bet would be to go on the ACMOC [antique caterpillar machinery owners club] site and ask someone to download the instructions for adjusting the clutch.Once you figure it out it's a fairly simple adjustment.Hope I helped you.
The master cluch should have 4to5 gal.oil sae 20 and for adjusting removed the cluch plate inspection and turne the flywell until the adjustement lock nut is accessible and loosen nut 2 turns and tap lock block slightly to be sure it isfree on stud and rotate flywell180degré and loosen the other lock the same manner and turne the adjusting ring clockwise 3 incks to tighten and tight the nuts.
If this D4 is a 1952 model it is a dry clutch. Oil clutches did not come out on any Cat until 1953.
If this machines has a dry cluch he should't have oil inside and the adjustement is't the same and a cluch picture could help
That D4 has oil seeping from the transmission which is normal. Drain it out and all the oil your friend put in. If it were mine I would take the clutch out and wash it since it was well soaked with oil. Maybe draining that oil and filling it with kerosene to wash it out and drain it again would help but kerosene is not cheap and after that oil soaking I doubt it will do a good job to rinse the clutch clean. I belive in 1952 Cat designed the D4 so that you could pull the clutch out through the top. Previous models had to either pull the engine or remove a large plate which also covered the steering clutches(I don't remember which way). That oil cup which should be located by your left foot or sometimes on that plate to inspect the clutch is to be filled to oil the bronze throw. Don't over oil it as it will get on the clutch. Some oil cups I have seen had a felt inside to slowly add the oil. To adjust take a 3/4 socket and extension and adjust the collar from the bottom right side(remove plate) or can be adjusted through the top inspection hole. D2 is easier as it has a pull tab to adjust the collar. Clutch will turn so put transmission in gear but remember to take out of gear before you start it up.
How did you fix this? I have the exact same problem? My Dozer will not push after it warms up.
Same problem How did you fix this?
If it is a D4 dry clutch and slipping, here is how you adjust it.
And if you get off it and leave it idling, put tranny in neutral and reengage the clutch, else it will prematurely wear out the pilot bearing. Mike
Or worse, if the pilot bearing freezes up the tractor will take off without you.
sounds like experience talking here ?
Some of the older cats could be Retro fitted with oil clutches.We have a 1947 Cat d6-8U fitted with an oil Clutch ,So check it out , and make sure what it is .
In the early '70's the first cat I was taught to run was a D-8 14A feeding crusher. After that was a D-8 36A. Both w/ stick tranny. The 36A's clutch brake was worn out so at the end of the push you put the Johnson in reverse while holding the foot brake, let it start rolling back and find 5th as the rolling speed caught up w/ the tranny. Mike
I just had a cloudy picture of Old Magnet chasing down a dozer, I wonder how quick he was over 50 yards back in the day?
Magnet can you email the images? I can not pull them up. [email protected]
OK, instruction sent. Anybody else not able to pull up the image?
Old Magnet Can you please send me the Attached Images? I can not access it.
Did you look at post #12? Instructions still show up there for me.
Any body know what serial # on 1953 d47u did cat start useing wet clutch
There was a post earlier that said 1953,that cat first started using them.I think Though on D4s , that they were an option .I have a 1953 D4-7u and it is dry clutch.I have a1958 Australian built D4-29A same as a D4-6U .It is the 4th last machine Built , and it is a dry clutch.. So I would say unless the machine was speced by the owner to have an oil clutch , a standard machine will be dry clutch .
Thanks I was looking for the did stick could not find it. It must be a dry clutch
Have not got the info Old Magnet has in his Library , Just going on what i see in my tractors . I have a 1947 D6-8U , that has an oil clutch been fitted later in its life ..I am pretty sure oil clutch housing ,has the Direct electric start hole in it . with a cover plate . I think te Dry clutch housings had to be drilled to add a starter motor .
Need a Service Manual for D4-7U in PDF-format, I will appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance..!!! - [email protected] Regards / Miguel Marenco Managua, NICARAGUA
You are probably not going to find a PDF copy unless someone copied one. Best bet is to look on eBay. They show up quite often.
Another thing to know on the dry clutch is if you need to slip the clutch for tight space maneuvering, do it with the engine idling in 1st gear. I'm guessing the opposite is what caused the OP's problem. Mike