Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1989 d4c steering clutches

yj junker · 2015-05-11 07:28

newbie here looking for info new to the dozer repair side and operating , bought the d4 at rbauctions and it would only steer one way sometimes the other ,both pedal to the floor ,after some troubleshooting I figured out the bands were bad and took them out with the clutches too ,I have ordered a service manual but it's not here yet so looking for spec's on clutch pack thickness so I can either order them or just get my bands relined and put it back together,from my reading it seems there are alot of very knowledgable people on here :notworthy the machine is a 1989 cat d4c serial #1RJ00706 thanks in advance what are your thoughts on aftermarket clutches also ,cat parts are stupid high in price

Replies4
  1. #1kshansen2015-05-11 07:46

    Here's what I found in a quick look on SIS: (2) Thickness of nine new driving discs and nine new driven discs and one new driven disc ... 52.39 ± 1.80 mm (2.063 ± .071 in) Thickness of one new 6Y7914 Disc ... 3.45 ± 0.13 mm (.136 ± .005 in) Thickness of one new 5K8616 Disc ... 1.905 ± .05 mm (.0750 ± .002 in) Thickness of one new 5V593 Disc ... 4.19 ± 0.18 mm (.165 ± .007 in) NOTE: The 5V593 Disc must be installed next to the drum.

  2. #2tctractors2015-05-11 13:40

    You need fancy tooling to strip out the clutch packs? tctractors

  3. #3yj junker2015-05-11 17:21

    thank you kshansen ,that is what I was looking for but I guess I won't be getting a manual from cat $1300 is not in the budget right now

  4. #4yj junker2015-05-11 20:06

    found a manual on ebay so guess I won't be going blind for now on