Hello, I have recently inherited a dump truck from my dad who passed away. I decided to bring it home (450 miles) and start a business with it. I am slowly replacing/fixing components to get it ready for vin inspection and subcontracting. On the drive home the speedometer/odometer stopped working, I want to know where the cable terminates (wheel hub or transmission). This is my first time working on a diesel and on such a large scale. Unfortunately, the internet does not give me huge amounts of information and locally I am finding that either services are overpriced or people just don't know. I know I will have a ton of questions, and any information would be huge.
Speedo cable goes down to the tailshaft on the back of the transmission. Does it have an actual cable or just electrical wires?
D max - thanks for your quick reply. My research tells me it is a cable. I have yet to get eyes on the cable.I have been dealing with the "small fires" so to speak. This issue is next along with a complete fluid change and filter replacement.
If it has a 2-speed rear end, it has 2 cables, one from the transmission to a little gearbox,(probably on the firewall), and one from the little gearbox to the speedometer.
Ok, I think I am clear. I will put my head under the truck later on today and see if I can identify what's what. I am hoping that the cable hasn't snapped and that it has just popped loose. Thank you for your help, I doubt this will be my last question just hope that this one is part of the "easy" ones.
Quick question, how do I know if it has a two speed rear end? I know it is a 7.7 L diesel and that it is a 3-speed automatic with air breaks. I guess there is so much more to learn about this rig...
I highly doubt it has a 2 speed rear end if it has an auto. But if it does there will be some sort of shifter fork box to the left or right of the pinion yoke(where drive shaft hooks on) on the front of the rear end housing.
It would have some wires going to it or an air line. But again, I doubt it does. If it had one there would also be a push/pull switch on or near the shift lever.
If the cable is snapped, and the cable housing is OK, you can buy a universal repair kit at the parts store. (or at least you could)
Thank you max and mitch. I have a call in about a replacement at about $50. Still haven't made time to put my head under the chassis to look, not enough hours in the day is how I'm going to blame this one. I will post when I have the appropriate knowledge ( hopefully tomorrow)
So... I got my eyeballs on the back of the instrument cluster and the bell housing of the transmission and found no large cable. I did find two wires attached on the bell housing and the back of the speedo/odometer has 4 wires instead of a large cable as I expected. This weekend has not been idea for repairs, I wanted reasonably straight forward and I am getting none-- any suggestions? I am not finding anything of real help in the interwebs,
The 2 wires on the bell housing are for the tachometer. You need to look at the back of the transmission, right where the drive shaft attaches. There will be another 2 wire sensor there. Loosen the locknut and unscrew the sensor. Make sure its clean especially on the end that goes in thr hole. Reinstall it, tighten it down snug by hand, then turn it 3/4 back out. Tighten locknut. If that doesn't fix it, replace the sensor.
89 f700 if you look closely the interior resemble an 89 f250 since the cab and doors are the same if. the cluster should have the speedo cable behind it and it should end at the end of the transmission in the tail housing or it might be electric i dont remember another cool thing is if you want an updated look you can use all the interior component from an obs 92-97 ford truck like the split seats and what not dash etc... only thing is wiring everything up since it isnt a direct bolt in. the cool thing if you need doors headliner etc.. you can go to a u pull it and pull it off a pickup
sounds like another trip under the truck for me, good thing I am small. Where will the cable terminate in the cab? is there a relay or what not between the tranny and the instrument cluster? Thanks again. If anyone has a service manual for this truck or knows someone who does I would like to purchase it. I think that would make life a bit easier if I can see schematics and what not.
So I got up under the truck and looked towards the rear of the transmission on the driver side. I found a round puck-shaped sensor attached just above the transmission pan. There were a bundle of wires coming from the part. one towards the cab and one towards the top of the transmission. I could not find any breaks in any wires and could not identify the colors of the wires to try and trace them back to the cab to look for breaks. Am I in the right area? my online searches fail me every time.
So I pulled the speedometer sensor from the transmission, it is a mini-gen. Does anyone have an online place where parts can be purchased? To buy this part in Oregon it is $395.