Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1989 JD 210C no forward, only has reverse.

dirty_d ยท 2013-08-08 11:18

Hello, first post here and here it goes. I was loading some gravel in the front bucket yesterday and noticed moving forward was becoming difficult. It would require more and more RPM to carry forward. It then stopped. I have reverse, and it works great. I checked linkage, seems to be functioning. I changed the reverser oil, nothing. I am thinking it's the Reverser control valve? I hope it is anyway.. I will pull it later on this morning. It seems to have a solenoid on the left of the reverser attached to the control valve. Any tips on what to look for? Should I disassemble this valve and check if valves, springs etc are sound? or will a good wash help? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys. Charlie.

Replies5
  1. #1Deon2013-08-08 21:10

    Your JD has a Borg Warner reverser. You have a common problem but I don't have the answer. The older Case 580 of the 80s use that same reverser. If you start a new thread called (Borg Warner shuttle not working in forward) you will probably get more help. Make sure you start your story by telling the readers that you have a Borg Warner shuttle like on the older Case backhoe. Good luck.

  2. #2dirty_d2013-08-08 22:01

    Thanks for the info. I pulled the control valve out this morning and cleaned it. The piston inside was gummed up and stuck. So was the spool. After a thorough clean, it oper like new. I have re assembled it and I will reinstall in the morning. I will update if it fixes. I sure hope it does.

  3. #3d9gdon2013-08-08 22:18

    I'm thinking the torque converter went out, maybe that's what you guys are calling the reverser. I had one to do the same thing. The big bell thing in there is used in some Ford transmissions, it's a lot cheaper going that way than through JD.

  4. #4dirty_d2013-08-10 14:59

    I don't think it's the torque converter. The issue is in the reverser/shuttle, and I think I know where. Thanks for the reply though.

  5. #5Richard56782017-01-07 23:04

    JD 210C forward no reverse What was the final verdict ?I have the exact same problem.