Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Borg Warner shuttle not working in forward.

dirty_d ยท 2013-08-08 22:17

Hey guys, I have another thread about my JD210C and its shuttle problem. A member suggested a new thread to get more help. This is the same reverser as the Case 580's of the 80's era. The reverser does not travel forward, it does go reverse with ease. And neutral is neutral. I thought that was important to note. Let me know if you have any suggestions, Thanks.

Replies15
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-08-08 23:46

    The Belleville spring brakes on most of those units and will cause that issue, most can be pulled and inspected in about two hours or less. This is not to say you don't have other issues, piston seals, worn disk and plates, depending on the shifter a elect issue. I would bet on the Belleville spring myself just from a lot of history on them.

  2. #2dirty_d2013-08-09 16:38

    Thanks for the insight. I pulled the control valve, disassembled/cleaned and re installed. Same issue. I was hoping for an easy fix. Now I will drop the reverser and look at the condition of that spring. The manual calls it a clutch spring. Its really just a concave washer. Do I need to replace the packing when I crack this thing open?

  3. #3dirty_d2013-08-09 17:30

    I ordered a rebuild kit. I will just replace all the plates, o rings, seals etc...

  4. #4sheepfoot2013-08-10 22:46

    It's not a bad job to pull them and rebuild, most service books show using a press on some parts, but most will come apart with not to much trouble with a little bump on a wooden block. the one thing you may not want to do is take out the center bushing on the front cover, most have to be honed out if you replace it, if it's within the spec and shows no sign of wear I would leave it in unless you have the means to machine it. Just a tip.

  5. #5dirty_d2013-08-11 16:33

    Well I got it apart, and you were right sheepfoot. The Belleville spring was shattered. It chewed up a bit of the piston as well. There were worn clutches as well. I was going to try and re use the piston, maybe just replace the packing, but I think since I'm putting new parts in, I may as well replace that too.

  6. #6bowen2013-08-14 06:13

    What would cause THAT? (Cause whatever it is, I don't want to so it...)

  7. #7dirty_d2013-08-14 16:37

    I think what happened was it cracked first, then broke. I felt the power kind of decrease, then it took more and more rpm to get it moving forward. Either way, once I dropped the reverser and spun the shaft, I heard the pieces in there jingle around. I have a rebuild kit en route, from Broken Tractor, and should be here early next week. I also had to get a few odds at the local JD dealer, OUCH. BY the end of the week we should be back in business. And not too soon either, I have a bunch of digging to do.

  8. #8bocephusfan12013-08-15 22:28

    I just did my 310 same issue, got the parts from broken tractor as well, was good quality USA made parts and very good folks to deal with.. Take extra care on the 2 fiber seals on the planetary end of the shaft they will tear very easily , put some grease in the grooves to hold them tight good luck

  9. #9dirty_d2013-08-16 12:23

    Curious, did it come with the piston packing and metal ring? I have ordered a new piston from JD and it did not come with any packing/rings. Good tip for the fibre rings. The minute I pulled that shaft out I saw how fragile they were.

  10. #10bocephusfan12013-08-16 17:07

    Yes it came with everything needed to do the entire reverser

  11. #11bocephusfan12013-08-16 17:10

    I had to order more of the fiber rings because they tear so easily and I didn't know much about what I was doing..broken tractor and JD only sell those as a whole kit at 85$, should u need more u can find them at juniors parts..great prices on them too, I also took my torque converter to a transmission shop, he rebuilt it for 240$.. Might be a wise investment for u as well

  12. #12dirty_d2013-08-16 20:02

    Did you have any torque converter issues prior to the rebuild? I didn't really notice any, and I know it's probably a good idea to get it done, but the prices would kill me. I live in a rural area, and the converter needs to be sent to the coast (Vancouver) to get it done. After freight it would cost about 150 just to diagnose it. The guy who rebuilds them said anywhere from 450-1200. Ya, OUCH. Broken Tractor has them for 475, but a 600 core charge. Again, freight across the line would be killer. We Canadians really get soaked when it comes to pricing.

  13. #13bocephusfan12013-08-17 01:31

    I didn't notice any issues but the guy that did the work on the converter said he rebuilds most of the rebuilt converters that you buy from other places, and told me mine did have wear in it

  14. #14dirty_d2013-08-23 21:23

    Well, I got it rebuilt and just re-installed. Filled with oil, and... dead battery. LOL. I will let you guys know how it goes. I have to admit, I am a little scared to turn the key and put it in gear.

  15. #15dirty_d2013-08-23 22:54

    It's back in service. A sincere thanks to those who lent their time and expertise to help me out. I am truly grateful. I tip my hat to you gentlemen. Charlie.