Hi all, i have a 1989 john deere 210c backhoe that i need some help with. Yesterday I was doing some work for a neighbor, i guess It was running about 4 hours and everything was working as it should, when I was done and coming back up my driveway i noticed that it seemed to be slowing down, i was on a very slight incline in 3rd gear so i stopped and down shifted to 2nd i went another 100 yards maybe and it was barely moving. When I got off of it i checked it out and saw fluid dripping from the transmission area. It looked like it was coming from the joint between the tranny housing and dip stick tube, so i unscrewed the dipstick itself and the fluid was clean up to the top of the fill tube! I changed all of the oils, filters and fluids last fall and have used it several times since with no problems whatsoever. I checked the fluid levels this spring before using and everything was good. The oil looks good, nice and clear doesn't smell bad and is not milky looking. I am at a loss as to why there is so much fluid in there. I hope it didnt ruin the tranny. If it was over full will it stop moving because of that? I'm going to take the plug out this morning and see if anything like water got in there but i wouldn't know how it could've. anybody else have any ideas? How it could happen, how to fix it, what damage may have occurred? As always, thank you for your help.Lee
Well, since i don't know how to edit my post i guess I'll reply to it and hope someone will read it and help. first off, i see that there are 40 views and no responses, did I **** someone off or something? lol okay, since my first post i have been searching for and reading everything i can find on this. I now know that I'm dealing with the reverser or shuttle, not the trans.itself. since my machine barely moves in forward or reverse and the hyd.oil was coming out the dipstick tube, I'm leaning towards, A. The strainer in the reverser sump is clogged or B. The charge pump has quit working. Here is my reasoning, if the strainer is plugged that would explain why it quit moving in both directions and if the oil is being returned to the sump but not leaving ,that explains the over full condition. If the charge pump has quit on me, would the oil still be returned to the sump? If so then that could explain everything also. I'm sure not a heavy equipment mechanic, but i would think it pretty unlikely that the forward and reverse clutch packs would fail at the same time, right or no? if you need any further info. On how it's acting i pretty well explained it in my first post, i think. or maybe i don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about! At this point I'm a very confused fella. So, if anyone has any ideas, please let a response, I'd be very grateful. Thank you, Lee