Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 super K general hydraulics question

mbavers ยท 2018-07-03 18:24

Thought this was worth a new post. I tried snaking a 1 inch line to the backhoe portion, but cannot make bends necessary because the hose is so stiff, so I am going to use 3/4 inch line. The line will involve about 10 feet of hose. Here is my question to any hydraulics experts: Will the smaller line make any considerable difference? The cross sectional area of the 3/4 inch is a little more than half of the 1 inch line (0.552 actually; 1 inch=0.785 SI, 3/4 inch=0.436 SI). Therefore I suppose the fluid would have to travel at almost twice the speed. I guess this might cause it to run a little warmer. I don't see that this should over-strain the hydraulic pump because when maximum force is applied with no movement, such as trying to dig up a tree stump, the force on the pump should be the same (since no fluid is moving). If anyone can think of a reason why 3/4" hose won't work please let me know by Thursday. Thanks to all that think about this conundrum!

Replies7
  1. #1Grady2018-07-03 23:14

    I wouldn't use smaller hose. Just me, but I try never to under-build and hope it works out. Someone up there must bend and flare steel tubing. If not, I think these guys do. https://nehydraulicsonline.com/site/new-products/

  2. #2mbavers2018-07-03 23:47

    I no longer have a pattern of the original.

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-07-04 07:10

    It is not a good idea to downsize a hydraulic line. the length of the hose also enters into the equation of reduced oil volume transfer. If you are going to have one made, get a 10 foot long piece of 1/2 inch electrical conduit and make the pattern with it. It is very easy to bend and rebend. You really should just repair it like Mike suggested in your other post.

  4. #4Theweldor2018-07-04 10:54

    When maz force is applied the fluid is still moving. It is going threw the relief in the valve spool.

  5. #5mbavers2018-07-04 12:41

    Thanks to all. I am changing my mind on not using compression fittings on high pressure, but it is too late for this job. The tube is already cut, and it was painted, scratched, dented, and would not have been a good candidate for clean contact with a ferrule. I just measured the ID of the original tube and was surprised at how thick a wall it has; the ID is only 0.81", with a cross sectional area of 0.515". The 3/4 hose has a cross sectional area of 0.442", so it is only 14% smaller. Not enough to worry about. I'm going with the 3/4" hose. I would never have measured the tube, but my hydraulics guy reminded me that tubes are measured OD while hoses are measured ID. I should have remembered that. Also, I'm surprised at the wall thickness of the tube; I thought it was thin wall hardened steel.

  6. #6franklin22018-07-04 16:22

    Like you mentioned before, you may notice it when making movements at high speed, but probably not notice it when the fluid is running slower.

  7. #7mbavers2018-07-04 20:25

    Yeah, I'm an old guy and hardly do anything at high speed anymore :<)