Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1989 L8000 Brake lights

Susyqt ยท 2020-06-05 16:59

I have a 1989 L8000 with 7.8 diesel. I have turn signals, parking lights. but no brake lights. I have replaces the pressure switches, under the dash I have replaces the brake light switches , under the hood All fuses are goodup by pass dash My terminal rail on the pass side in engine campartment is not wired right for the brake lights. So I am at a loss as to what to check next. can someone plese help or give me a starting point. Thank you Susan

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2020-06-05 19:33

    You need to test for stop lamp power going into the turn signal switch. Clearly, the wiring from the turn signal switch to the rear lamps is good, or you would have rear turn signals. Is there 12volt on the red wire to the turn signal switch when the brakes are applied?

  2. #2heymccall2020-06-05 21:20

    "You WOULDN'T have rear signals ". Darn typos.

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-06-05 21:58

    Signal switch.

  4. #4Susyqt2020-06-06 09:30

    I shall give it a try, The only thing I have when i apply power to the terminal bar out in the engine compartment is braKE LIGHT STAYS ON.