Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 420 Catipillar backhoe will not move

doesntmatter ยท 2015-03-26 16:36

Sorry if none of this makes sense, I don't operate the backhoe, my dad does. He says he put 5 gallons of hydraulic oil in and the backhoe will not go forward or backward. Does anyone here know what is the problem?

Replies4
  1. #1mikebramel2015-03-26 21:24

    Check power from the FNR switch and to the coils on the trans

  2. #2PDG X2015-03-26 21:36

    If it's really a 420 - they were first made in 2000 - check the left side of the front dash for a red switch. If it's there it's the transmission lockout switch. Make sure it's off. If it's on, the FNR lever will be locked out.

  3. #3doesntmatter2015-03-27 07:53

    Whoops, I meant 426... Should I still do the same thing?

  4. #4PDG X2015-03-27 10:39

    I believe the dash mounted neutral switch was first used with the B series in 1992. I don't think it was used on the A or series 2 machines. Just don't remember. If you're not getting any movement out of the machine, I would first check the Trans disconnect switch on the loader lever to see if it is stuck or not making contact.