Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 Case 580K – Changing the oil in powershuttle

rdavison39 · 2026-05-09 15:25

I'm trying to figure out how to change the oil in the powershuttle. I'm reading the manual and it says oil must be drained from the oil pan on the power shuttle and the torque converter. Finding the drain on the power shuttle oil pan is not a problem but i can't figure out where the drain is on the torque converter. The manual says 1. Put a pan under the flywheel housing. 2. Have another person turn the flywheel as you look for the plug in the torque converter through the hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing. So when i look undernead i can see a hole in what i think is the flywheel housing (pics attached). The hole at the bottom is threaded but there is no nut in place - i am assuming its been lost over the decades (and i sure hope this wasn't meant to contain any fluid). In any event when I crawl underneath and look at the hole i dont see much. I know the manual says to have someone turn the flywheel but even if i did see something i have the driveshaft in the way...gonna pretty hard to loosen the drain plug on the torque converter with the drive shaft directly in the way.... ...am i reading this properly - does anyone have any experience doing this?

Replies7
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-05-10 10:02

    Yes, you have to remove the driveshaft to drain the torque converter and it makes it exponentially easier to remove the drain pan. While there clean suction screen and probably replace the oring for the pick-up tube. Before you take the pick-up tube off, take a picture of the orientation, as it needs to be turned a certain way. You can get a 5 dollar gasket for the pan on Amazon, they work well. I have done the pan with the driveshaft in the way and will never do it again. You will never drain the torque converter, with the driveshaft in the way, at least I can’t. Its pretty easy to spot, it’s a little 1/4” NPT plug, just roll it around, till it shows. It’s easier if you turn the fan and have your wife get dripped on, while you spin, cause she won’t have the ass to spin it. Lol

  2. #2rdavison392026-05-10 10:44

    Thanks HH - now have to figure out how to coax wife to crawl under the unit! This begs me to ask a couple more questions 1) - is removing the driveshaft fairly straightforward or a complex task...thinking its not easy ;( 2) - where is the suction screen - sound like i need to remove the pan for the powershuttle to do this? Thanks Ron

  3. #3rdavison392026-05-10 13:58

    One more question 3) Given powershuttle and torque converter run on their own oil suppy.. do they have its own "spin-on" filter. In the picture above (beside the starter) i believe that is the oil filter so i'm wondering where the powershuttle filter is if there is one....thx

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-05-11 10:43

    Removing the driveshaft is fairly easy, just unbolt at the flanges. Yes the pan needs to be removed, the pick up tube and screen are underneath. There is no filter for the shuttle, only the screen. The condition of the screen, will dictate how healthy the shuttle is. Really should pick up the manuals for the machine. Be aware, my information and knowledge, is from a late 580 SE so it may differ but I believe it’s correct knowledge for the K. The manual gives correct filling information.

  5. #5rdavison392026-05-11 12:05

    Thanks HH for the reply and further information - i do have the complete service manual but its not always clear. For instance, it doesn't suggest to remove the drive shaft and it will say things like "remove the filler plug" put doesn't tell you where it is....i like to think I'm logical and can find stuff but its not always straight-forward or obvious. Anyway, appreciate your insight and help

  6. #6HarleyHappy2026-05-12 07:40

    I agree with you on the manual. When I went to check and change the oil in the shuttle, the first time, I dropped the pan and found the torque converter plug. You have to open and close eyes fast, to see the plug around the driveshaft. I tried for about an hour, to find the perfect length extension to fit and gave up. Then tried to put pan back in. Driveshaft was a PITA.

  7. #7rdavison392026-05-12 09:21

    Thanks. Yeah it doesn’t look easy with drive shaft in the way