Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 cat track loader vin

cameronlunz · 2023-12-13 20:14

I’m looking to buy this track loader and the guy doesn’t know much about it. He says it’s a 1990 cat track loader, but I haven’t had any luck decoding the vin. Any help would be appreciated

Replies7
  1. #1cameronlunz2023-12-13 20:14
  2. #2Nige2023-12-13 20:28

    Damn straight he doesn't know anything about it. He's only 10 years off with the age........ In order to date it I had to put the Serial Number into the latest format which required adding an extra 0 after the 29Y part of the Serial Number.

  3. #3cameronlunz2023-12-13 20:29

    Oh wow thank you I really appreciate it

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-12-15 01:06

    Initial impression is it's a basket case. It has the wrong fuel cap but on my phone it looks like a big patch has been welded on the fuel tank or several cracks repaired? Don't see any need for 3 batteries but maybe just to fit the space? Mine has 1 8D battery. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the steering clutch compartments are full of rust as well as all the linkages. It looks like a very neglected machine ran hard and put away wet.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-12-16 01:35

    You'd better get that little tractor cheap, because it needs a pile of money spent on it. They're a nice handy little tractor and popular, but they can run away with a pile of $$'s in short order. Make sure the engine is healthy and the cooling system is in good shape, and that the transmission works as it should.

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-12-16 02:15

    I know that 3204's can't sit for years with coolant in them. They have to be started and ran at least occasionally. The shop that did my engine had a D3B that the owner abandoned because he couldn't afford the engine rebuilt. It sat in their yard for at least a couple years. Apparently there is something aluminum, I think, that corrodes after sitting for a long time with coolant in it. It's on the front of the engine but I don't remember what it is. It might have something to do with galvanic corrosion.

  7. #7OzDozer2023-12-16 06:04

    Yes, the top water outlet/thermostat housing is alloy, and it corrodes easily. I'm looking at fabricating one out of steel to replace mine, which is unusable due to corrosion.