Hello, new here. Im looking to buy something to haul a backhoe. I ran into a single axle 4600 dually with a 7.3l engine for a good price. Im curious if it will tow a lowboy capable of hauling 10ton and a 580k case backhoe around 15k pound. Thanks Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I haul a 580K with extend a hoe, and thumb, (16500). I use a 9 ton trailer, it has three axles, 6 tires. The truck is a 1976 Chevy C65, (27500 GVWR), 5 speed, two speed axle, and a gas 427 truck engine. If I lived in a flat world this set up would be plenty. VT is uphill both ways. More engine would be wonderful. If I could have one of these engines in a one ton it'd be a fire breather! In a rig weighing in at 33500 I use lower gears a lot. Willie
What area of the country are you in? I have a 4700 with the dt530E and a 6 speed allison behind it. I sure wouldn't want any less motor being in PA. I drag a tractor around that gets me real close to 20k between the trailer and payload. As far as stopping and handling its no big deal. Just don't expect to be doing the speed limit when you crest all the hills.