Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 International 4900 with spicer 5 sp/ 2 sp rear oil question!

dadanddaughterexcavation ยท 2021-08-29 15:42

I am wanting to change/add fluids in my manual trans gear box. there seems to be a lot of info that is telling me opposite things. should I use sae 30w motor oil, sae 50w motor oil, 50w atf, 30w atf or something else in my spicer gear box? I will post pics of all the markings I could find. Also the drain plug is dripping from the bottom of my rear end and I need to re-wrap the plug, figured I would change the rear end oil too. according to my research I should put in 75-140w gear oil. dose this sound right? I really appreciate all the support I get from all you guys.

Replies5
  1. #1dadanddaughterexcavation2021-08-30 12:42

    Thanks to MEKANIK I was able to find this PDF from spicer for my gear box (ES65-5) Ill post it here in case anyone ever needs it

  2. #2csthompson122021-08-30 15:56

    I have a similar setup to yours. I use Mobil 80-90w in the rear end. In the transmission I use Lucas syn 50W transmission oil.

  3. #3_Weldman_2021-08-30 19:00

    +1 Same here

  4. #4dadanddaughterexcavation2021-09-02 14:06

    I assume the bigger plug is the fill plug and the smaller one below is the check plug where the diff oil level is supposed to be? anyone know if that is correct?

  5. #5Birken Vogt2021-09-02 22:32

    The smaller one should be for a temp gauge or something, should be filled level with the big one.