Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lightest tandem

gwhammy ยท 2021-08-30 20:51

What's the lightest you can get a tandem? Say 8.3 cummins and maybe a single axle with an air tag. Maybe even an gas tandem chevy. Just wondering if I can get down to a legal weight without buying over weight permits. My trailer is around 12,000. Pipe dream I'm sure.

Replies13
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-08-30 21:12

    It will be a hard push to get under 12,000 with anything that has power. Maybe a C12.

  2. #2NepeanGC2021-08-31 06:29

    Not sure how you could get it that light and have it be durable. My Volvo with a light weight dump box weighs 23,000. My old International single axle was just over 12k empty, and it was a super short single frame.

  3. #3alfred riley2022-02-24 22:11

    my 73 gmc 7500 ten wheel is 21200 with full tank 60 gallon 6v53n 5x4 trans 6.17 rear I have seen heavier gas ones

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-02-25 00:56

    That's bare bones no frills no box no nothing.

  5. #5dieseldog5.92022-02-25 07:46

    I am missing the goal of the question, do we need to haul it on a 12k trailer? Are we looking to haul a 12k trailer under cdl? Is there a truck in mind you need to go get somewhere?

  6. #6gwhammy2022-02-27 10:18

    Just a dream scaling a 973 loader under 80,000 lbs. I just need to suck it up and get the right equipment since I have a couple of them now. Looks like to do it right I need a triple axle lowboy and maybe four axle truck.

  7. #7dieseldog5.92022-02-27 13:26

    973 55,000lbs ?

  8. #8crane operator2022-02-27 13:32

    My RT grove crane is right around 67-68,000 and 10' wide. I haul it on a 3 axle truck and 3 axle double drop detach trailer. I have a 25' well. At my length, the extra axle of a 4 axle tractor, only gets you another 1,600lbs gross allowable on a permit. The extra axle weighs more than that- so a 4 axle tractor doesn't give you any advantage. I'm 41' axle spacing, so could get up to 118,000 on a permit, and I think I'm under 105,000 gross. I looked up a 973 and they show between 60-70,000 lbs for a 973, there's no way you are getting under 80,000lbs gross. Truck is going to weigh 18-22,000 and trailer 15-18,000 so you're going to be 100,000 or so. Three axle truck gets you a lot shorter truck which really helps making corners and driveways. A local dirt contractor has a 4 axle sleeper truck and its a huge pain, and doesn't haul any more legally than mine, unless they put the rear stinger axle on 8' behind the trailer axles. Your trailer must be a single drop tandem to only be 12,000lbs? Aren't you overheight? Are you really short on the trailer? I was going to suggest a single drop tri axle but I didn't think you would be under height.

  9. #9dieseldog5.92022-02-27 14:00

    I just had a lowbed leave here, 20 foot well, schwitzer maybe, 10 wheeler Mack, he swung in here without leaving the pavement, nothing pretty but I could see where that setup would be super handy. 35 ton trailer I would guess. Sounds like nailing down the weight of the loader would be helpful.

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-02-27 14:14

    Wonder what the distance from center of drop axle to center of rear axle is.

  11. #11hvy 1ton2022-02-27 14:24

    To get under 14' with a 973C, deck height would have to be less than 30". 963 is just under 14' with a 36" deck height, so they can go on just about anything.

  12. #12crane operator2022-02-27 14:27

    I'll try to get a picture of it sometime when I see it next. Its a nice truck, its just not real handy for moving equipment all the time to tight jobsites. They have a single drop lowboy with a three axle truck, they try to take the small truck to the bad jobsites if the equipment fits on it.

  13. #13DMiller2022-02-27 14:55

    Drop Neck 3 axle Low bed we use at work sports a 28" deck height, so can haul about anything for height, width and weight get to be the issue.