Got me one of these that runs and operates great, however, the swing gearbox has begun puking out gear oil. I've dumped a quart of Lucas in it hoping that it will swell the seal, but I assume the wing motor/gearbox has to come out. Has anyone re sealed one of these before? What's involved? I have the manual, and the brother is a machinist, but it's going to be me humping the thing out.
There are many threads here about this swing gearbox. Search for EX60 swing gearbox, it is the same.
Monitor the oil level in the hyd. drive on top. Drain the oil level in the gear box to level. Drain the swing drive down to full level. Does this just have a drive motor on top of the gearbox? If so the motor seal is bad. HoweveR if the drive motor sits on a gear drive and is dropping oil from the drive motor, then the bottom swing drive seal is bad. Need to determine the correct seal to replace.
It's definatly the gear box. Got the seal ordered, should be here today. I guess I'll clean all the leaves and crap out from where the base of it bolts to the body, get some JIC plugs for the lines, un bolt it and see if I can lift 'er out of there. May be easier to split the hydro motor from the gear box first?
No argument about the gearbox seal, but the gear case only holds so much oil and if it keeps over ffilling the case, it has to be supplying it from another source, like the drive motor ?
Ah. I wasnt clear on that. I have to add a couple quarts of gear oil per two or three hours of use so I know where its coming from.
Update on this machine. I noticed the oil coming down the outside of the turn table, if it was leaking out of the pinion it would be coming out the bottom of the machine. So I looked around, cleaned out all the pine needles and dirt around the swing gear box, and found the drain plug/ball valve. The valve was facing the front of the machine, instead of being on top of the valve. I put a wrench on it, and it was finger tight. So I spun it untill it was as tight as I could get it through that little hole (Who the hell thought that was a good place to put it, you can't get your arm in there unless you are 90 pounds!). I'll fill 'er up and see how it goes. If the pinion seal leaks, it would not drip down the top of the turntable, it would come right out of the bottom of the undercarrige, right?
No, not true. If the pinion seal is leaking the rotex is a sealed bearing unit that is intended to have enough grease in it for the pinion/gear teeth lubed up.
Well it held for a day and puked everywhere. Head first I go
Yarded the gear box out without too much trouble. Tore into it, planetary gears are good, upper and lower bearings are shot. Deere wanted 900 for the set, found the same Koyo bearings online for $200. Bought locally for $300 so I can get it together right away. Big question is, how do I clean out the big pond of gear oil and Lucas sitting in the Rotec area. There appears to be a big hatch on the botom, but that appears to drop the whole panel wth 20 quarts of oil, and I'll bet grease and sludge. Any tips here on how to deal with this? And the manuals do not appear to tell me how much and how to grease the gear and pinion when I get 'er back together.
If you haven`t already, remove the center joint bottom plate. look under the rotex and there is an oval shaped plate that will be a drain for the rotex. With the swing gear box removed and all the hydraulic hoses from the swing drive SAFELY capped/plugged, start and raise the boom just enough off the ground that the upper house is able to rotate, steam clean out the rotex till eveything that isn`t supposed to be in there is out. Let it drain/dry out. With the reccomended grease in hand, literaly spread a handfull of grease onto each of the teeth of the section of the gear that is vesible looking into the holoe where your swing drive goes. Rotate the machine as you will need to get the grease applied all around the gear. Have fun and good luck.
Dropped the hatch, took the bolts off of the little plate the oil gushed out of it. Looks like there was not too much grease to being with in there, the tub is pretty much clean after the Lucas/Oil ran out. Turning the machine with the slew motor out isn't going to happen, so I figure I grease up hard what I can see, and then fire it in a lot in the little fill hole by the boom? Anyone see a problem with this plan, it's not as good as filling the tub with the slew motor out, but every plug I have in the thing drips a bit, I don't think I want to hit it with full pressure. I'm torn as far as dropping the hydro motor/gearcase in whole, or gearcase, then sun gears, then swing motor... My brother things all at once, I think one at a time so we don't have to try and line up the bucket on my Massey Ferguson Tractor to try and center it.
Got er in there and now feeding grease through the hole at the base of the stick. Was not going to work packing the gear by hand rotating the house. Should 12 tubes be enough? I greased the pinion good and washed all the oil out of the tub.