Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1992 case 580 super k starter grinding flywheel

case580superk ยท 2025-03-28 14:10

Previous owner had the wrong starter 2003+ and i put in the right one (10 tooth) for the 4b cummins and the flywheel is eaten in a small section then i clock it and it still grinds in some sections but the new starter is slightly different i just want to make sure that the flywheel is the only thing that is bad the old starter blew up the motor shaft

Replies3
  1. #1Simon C2025-03-28 17:44

    I have cleaned up some bad looking teeth with a Die Grinder before, but sometimes a flywheel ring gear change out is the only solution. Maybe post your serial number and maybe someone else will chime in some info. Simon C

  2. #2case580superk2025-03-28 20:12

    Thank you for replying mr Simon unfortunately I don't know where the serial number is. it's a 1992 with vertical rams for the backhoe not extending legs and I started the engine (with the starter grinding and I'm going to have to change it since it is wobbly like half a inch in and out (i took the plate that covers the housing off to see it) now my problem is how do I know that this different starter will engage properly it's not exactly the same as the original one (the correct one I would assume since it has the three holes)

  3. #3Simon C2025-03-28 23:03

    Measure how far the gear travels on the starter when the bendix kicks it out. Measure from the front of the face of housing to the front of the tooth on flywheel. If you could get a worn out correct starter you could measure each one. How far from the side of the bellhousing hole is the center of the gear on starter? Where is the ring gear tooth in comparison. It can be difficult to calculate. Its why it's good to have an actual machine specific starter. Simon C