Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1993 Caterpillar D6H II Idler Wheels

1993D6HSeries2 · 2024-01-03 15:00

Hello everyone, We purchased this machine from Wagner Caterpillar in New Mexico. Since acquiring it, we've used it for approximately 1500 hours. However, we've discovered an issue: the idler wheels on the machine are not compatible with our undercarriage (U/C). I'm puzzled as to why our machine has these unusual, completely flat idler wheels. This is how the machine was sold to us, and I haven't been able to find another model 6H with the same type of flat idlers. Does anyone have any insights or explanations for this?

Replies28
  1. #1tctractors2024-01-03 15:08

    The idlers look to be Systemone items and you are running standard track groups, on the rear idler if you run standard chains you remove the shim plate from under the mounting block, plus you would have to remove the idler bolt on guard and cut the adapter plates off, I have seen lots of Ex' Service Track groups even the rotating bush setup but not running this type idler.

  2. #21993D6HSeries22024-01-03 15:11

    So my track group is not compatible with the idlers? The 4 of them are flat

  3. #3Nige2024-01-03 15:38

    Your first step IMHO should be to go back to Wagner and tell them they screwed up selling you a machine with a mixture of HD tracks and SystemOne idlers. Ask them how they propose to make it right. There may also be other S1 parts on the machine such as sprocket segments, track rollers, & carrier rollers, someone needs to check. HD and S1 undercarriage use all different parts and they can’t be mixed & matched on the same machine. Do you have a Serial Number.?

  4. #41993D6HSeries22024-01-03 15:41

    Thank you. The serial number is 3ZF05819.

  5. #5tctractors2024-01-03 15:53

    Nige' I think the Segments are the same items, the bottom rollers are not.

  6. #6Nige2024-01-03 16:08

    Tony I wasn't 100% sure to I listed everything that COULD possibly be specific to HD or S1 just in case. As you say track rollers are different as are carrier rollers, and a lot of butchering has to go on regarding guiding guards as well. OK, so your tractor was originally built with the same type of Heavy Duty (HD) tracks that it has on it right now, fitted with 22" wide single grouser shoes. The idlers are a complete mystery. I can't even see any instructions regarding a retrofit of SystemOne undercarriage on a tractor of the age of yours. REHS2350 (attached) does mention D6H tractors but no specifics about converting one. Neither does it include your particular 3ZF Serial Number prefix. You may find it useful as it illustrates the differences between the two types of undercarriage. Usually it is owners with later D6K, D6M, D6N models and the like that were originally built with S1 that people are wanting to retrofit with HD undercarriage.

  7. #71993D6HSeries22024-01-03 16:34

    On the phone with Wagner now. We have spent over $30,000 on U/C because of this.

  8. #8Nige2024-01-03 16:35

    I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their end.......... It could be a major "Oh ****" moment.

  9. #91993D6HSeries22024-01-03 16:48

    Will keep updating the thread, but things are not looking good for us. No one at Wagner wants to say anything. Tractor was bought in early 2009 so that’s that.

  10. #10Nige2024-01-03 17:00

    Ah-ha. You didn't mention that bit. When you said 1500 operating hours I was thinking you bought it within the last few months.

  11. #111993D6HSeries22024-01-03 17:06

    thanks for your help. I wish I had posted on the forum when I was looking at buying the tractor.

  12. #12.RC.2024-01-03 17:10

    I am surprised no operator or mechanic worth their salt has questioned the odd looking idlers. What is the bet, someone had some cheap idlers they got when someone sick of the crap system one converted a machine back to standard style undercarriage. So stuck them on there

  13. #131993D6HSeries22024-01-03 17:20

    We didn’t know any better when we bought the tractor. Our salesman never mentioned anything and we just noticed when oil started leaking from the pins. We will be buying 4 new idlers and chain.

  14. #14Nige2024-01-03 18:09

    I'm assuming you will install new sprocket segments with the new chain. You might also consider looking at the track rollers & track carrier rollers at the same time to make sure someone has not slipped SystemOne components into those locations as well. You may also need to take Tony's comments above into account as well. I would suggest that when you want to start looking for replacment undercarriage components post back here and we can come up with a full list of correct Part Numbers for your particular tractor.

  15. #151993D6HSeries22024-01-03 19:57

    Thank you very much for your help.

  16. #16Jimbo2024-01-03 22:07

    Not sure where in west Texas you are, but a trip east to different territory would be very productive, in my experience

  17. #17Tyler d4c2024-01-03 23:05

    There's 4 new cat idlers on Facebook market place for this machine in West Virginia for 2000 bucks maybe worth a look to you

  18. #18Tyler d4c2024-01-03 23:07

    I lied 2500 Facebook www.facebook.com

  19. #191993D6HSeries22024-01-03 23:47

    Thank you so much for your assistance everyone. We spoke with Wagner, and we might be able to work something out.

  20. #20Shimmy12024-01-04 00:41

    Bahahahahaha

  21. #21Welder Dave2024-01-04 01:45

    Is that how the HD sprockets normally look? Also were the pads re-grousered? The grousers aren't clipped on the ends.

  22. #221993D6HSeries22024-01-04 10:51

    I got the service history from Wagner. If anyone is interested.

  23. #23Nige2024-01-04 11:30

    So the last jobs done on it were repairs to the tracks (sounds like a pin & bush turn) made by one of the Cat dealers in Mexico but no mention of any work on the idlers. Hmmmm....... Can you post the complete numbers, etc, from the idler in your original photo please. Some like 109291 can be seen but others are not totally visible. One thing's for certain it's an aftermarket part, not a Cat idler.

  24. #241993D6HSeries22024-01-04 11:33

    Absolutely, will post the complete number. And yes, we bought this tractor for our cattle ranch in Mexico. Thank you once again.

  25. #251993D6HSeries22024-01-05 21:06

    Update with Wagner attached.

  26. #26Nige2024-01-05 22:02

    Not totally surprising considering the time that has passed since the dealer sold the machine.

  27. #271993D6HSeries22025-01-06 16:49

    Update: we bought 4 new idlers and have been the running the machine gently as is. Pins are still leaking oil but we will be happy if we can get 1500 hours out of them.

  28. #28nicky 68a2025-01-07 07:04

    Thanks for the update