I have a 939 track loader and would like to build a road on a fairly steep piece of ground. Any suggestions on how to get started ? Thanks, Ted
I think you need to provide some more details like do you want the road up and down or across a hill?
Thanks for taking the time to ask a question. It is a fairly steep hill and I will angle it to the right as go down. I am trying to get access to a river. The problem is since it is a loader and not a dozier, I cannot angle the loader like I could if I had a blade. I also have never driven a machine like this before. I guess I will have learn as I go. Ted
Practice using it on level ground before you start on hill. Always try to work off of a level area and just keep making it bigger or longer in the case of a road.
As noted, start with a bench area that is level, work into the slope off the bench and should not be a problem. Easy to drop spoil off edge as is to push it off with a dozer. Always work High to low, working low to high can develop a little bit of peculiarities as to grade plus spoil will continue to be dropped into the fresh finished cuts.
i own 1a 1994 cat 939. does anyone know if it is a powershift or hydrastatic drive and what the difference is ? Thanks
Early machines like yours were powershift and later ones were hydrostatic. I don't think hydrostat was an option on early machines. Powershift has an U pattern shifter with 1, 2 and 3 on each side for forward and reverse speeds. Hydrostat will be infinitely variable. The hydrostat machines usually say hydrostat on the front side of the hood. A hydrostat machine is more productive but also more expensive to fix. Some pics. of your transmission controls and steering pedals might help. I think a hydrostat will have counter rotating tracks if you push a steering pedal fully down. I'm really curious though. You've had a 939 since 2018 and you never figured out what transmission it has?
I did not know they had different trnsmissions. For the life of me, Until a couple days ago I did not know about the transmission being powershift or hydrastatic drive. I have only recently started using it - several years parked - wife had cancer finally died - vehicle accident, as well as other things. I think the last time I posted on this forum was 2018. While I am having true confession here - I did not know the electrical switch in the back of the machine has to be turned off, if leaving the machine off for any length of time. I found out that the hard way, when I first bought the machine I also have a question about the water separator in the back of the machine. I think it is supposed to be drained every 10 hours or daily as my maintaince says. I have drained but never seem to see any water in it.. Also, the little nut is plastic and I am always afraid I will break it. I will just have to be super careful. The machine is amazing to me, however, in that even after not being started for months and months it fired right up.
Very sorry to hear your wife has passed. If the water separator looks good without water in the bottom, you don't need to drain it everyday but should check it everyday.
Thanks so much for the information.