Hi all I have a recently purchased 1994 case 580 super k backhoe When i try to start it it always takes a long time to start and when it does it only runs for a second and then shuts off. I start it again (easier this time) and does the same thing once more. On the third time it usually starts and runs good. Today I replaced the battery (it was weak anyway) and it went through he same routine but again it started at the end. I worked with it for a bit today at half throttle and then I noticed something new......It started revving up by itself and stayed at almost full throttle. I then lowered the throttle to idle with the side lever but it didnt make much difference. I operated the hydraulics and it almost stalled. I went half way on the throttle again and worked for as while until the same thing happened again. Did a search on google and im thinking maybe there is air in the lines, or im running out of fuel (gage doesn't work good) but im also worried about the "runaway diesel" scenario. Any thoughts? thank you in advance
Do you have a drain on the tank? drain a cup of so of fuel out and see if there's any gunk or water in there. Change the filter, disassemble the lines from the tank to the filter and blow them out, including any fittings. Replace any original rubber fuel supply lines. As long as your shut off has always worked I wouldn't worry about it running away. Air in the lines from low fuel, plugged lines, leaky hose is the most likely cause.
The revving up doesn't fit the case I'm thinking about. A friend has a superK that was really hard starting. Turned out it was sucking air at the primer pump. I can't remember if he rebuilt the little plunger doodad or just got a new one. Regardless, it cured the hard start. Hope this helps.
thanks for your reply and suggestions. Being that Im new to this whole thing it will take me a while to go through your list, but I will and will report back. I'm relieved about your response on the running away issue as im on a hill and it wouldn't be pretty if it ran Thanks again
Thanks man. I just got a service manual and will try to find the primer pump to see if it looks good _not sure if I can tell the difference_ but I hope a visual inspection will reveal something. As far as the " plunger doodad" I cant find that term anywhere on the manual but will sure look for it on the pump.....LOL Thank you for your help
OK an update the" throttling up by itself" issue is resolved ......it was due to low fuel the original problem of hard starting has not been addressed yet due to lack of time. Im hoping to look in to it soon happy thanksgiving everyone