Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 Caterpillar D5C

CatToy ยท 2015-04-30 06:57

I am looking for a good dozer to have a little fun with on the weekends clearing my property. I found a local Cat D5 with a little over 10K hours that appears in good shape, UC<50%, pins turned, seems to run good. Would 10K hours keep you from getting it and what is a fair price?

Replies4
  1. #1Dickjr.2015-04-30 11:46

    To me it depends on the price. If its cheap enough that if you had a major failure , you could still afford to repair it then maybe yes. Is it a hydrostat , pedal steer or lever steer? They are good tractors , other factors are you going to put a lot of hours on it or not. With 10K hours on it unless its been worked on , you can expect issues along the way.

  2. #2CatToy2015-04-30 13:28

    I think they wanted $11k, it was hydrostat. I will put less than 100hrs a year. Well, my backhoe only has 145 hrs after 3 yrs

  3. #3CatToy2015-04-30 14:37

    It is a powershift vice hydrostat. I have looked at to many lately.

  4. #4newguy2k32015-04-30 19:13

    A powershift is in my mind less likely to have a "catastrophic$$" failure than a hystat machine at that hr range and has less electrical as well.