Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 Ford 555D Reverse Slipping

Bama651 · 2019-10-10 21:08

Reverse has been slipping for the past few months off and on. There’s usually a short delay before it engages. Today it was slipping every time I put in reverse. I added some hydro/trans fluid because it was a little low. After I filled it up it seemed worse? I’m not sure where to start. Anyone ever had this issue?

Replies6
  1. #1Clawed Backster2019-10-10 21:37

    Shuttle clutches, would be my guess. I am currently refreshing the shuttle in my 555.

  2. #2Bama6512019-10-11 11:03

    Will I have to remove the transmission to work on the shuttle? Also would the reverse solenoid have anything to do with it?

  3. #3Clawed Backster2019-10-11 11:14

    Mine is an older version of what you have, and mine is basically all mechanically controlled. I don't know how much of your later version is mechanical, and how much is electronic. If you have to service the clutch packs, then yes, you will have to disassemble the machine. For more info, check out the thread about Ford 555 transmission problems.

  4. #4Bama6512019-10-24 20:08

    Update: So after further investigation I’ve found that if I pull the shifter back and hold it all the way back while using reverse it does not slip. Would this be an electric issue of some sort?

  5. #5Clawed Backster2019-10-24 20:20

    Linkage out of adjustment?

  6. #6jimg9842019-10-24 22:16

    ford's adjustment sometimes on top of the F/R lever,, take the small cover off and you will see