Hoping someone here can provide some ideas. I have an old machine that has run quite well for the 3 years I've had it. However, the other day while working I noticed the engine made a slight increase in engine noise, as if it developed a small exhaust leak. I got off the machine and took a brief look around the motor, but did not notice anything unusual. Once I resumed working, I noticed a slight loss of power. I was lifting some heavy boulders, so I didn't think too much of it, other than it was a change over how it was behaving moments prior. Then, the motor stalled and stopped running completely. This was very odd and had never happened before. I turned the key to restart, but no luck. The engine began to turn over, but then an audible grinding noise could be heard. I opened the hood to watch the fan while I turned the key. When I attempted to start, the fan would move slightly, as if it would turn over, but then stopped and the grinding noise would begin. The fan stutters when the grinding starts. To me it seems as if an internal gear somewhere has shattered. The engine starts to turn, but is then slipping, perhaps due to broken teeth on a gear, or a sheer pin? I have no idea where to begin and don't want to just start disassembling the engine when I should be looking at something else. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Michael
Sounds like your engine locked up, and the starter gear is grinding against the flywheel trying to turn it over.
Thank you for responding. Even though the oil level is fine, it is possible for engine to just lock-up while running for hours? I was not aware this could happen.
Well I could certainly be wrong, but it sounds like you had a failure of a connecting rod bearing. The extra noise you heard was the rod beating the dog urine out of the crankshaft. And yes, that can happen even when the oil level is good. If so, it is time for a complete overhaul, probably including a new crankshaft and connecting rods. Not going to be a cheap or quick fix.