Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 International CAT 3176 D No Start

MichaelMCC · 2019-01-09 17:12

Hello All, I just bought my first truck a few weeks ago. I did buy the truck not running for a low price. I did a full maintenance (Filters, Oils). I also took out the fuel tank and cleaned it out. I try starting it with ether, but starts for 30 seconds and dies. It does have fuel and oil pressure. I have not found a mechanic to come and check out and would appreciate any advise. Thanks,

Replies10
  1. #1AllDodge2019-01-09 18:00

    Not familiar with the motor, but there should be a primer pump and bleeder screw on the fuel filter. Open the bleeder screw a little and pump the primmer until no air bubbles are seen. Then follow the line to where it goes to the injection pump. Crack this line while pumping the primer and watch for air bubbles. Crack the injector lines and crank the motor until it get clear. Then try starting

  2. #2Nige2019-01-09 19:06

    Get a Serial Number from the engine and post it up. It would be a good idea to know what we’re dealing with.

  3. #3MichaelMCC2019-01-09 19:10

    Engine serial number A7LG23054

  4. #4Nige2019-01-09 20:25

    How the fuel system works is contained in the attached document, plus the rest of the engine for good measure. Now we just need pumpguy to show up because if it will run on ether it sounds like it ain't getting fuel .......... EDIT: Scratch the above, it's an electronic engine so maybe looking for Fault Codes would probably be the best way to go initially.

  5. #5walkerv2019-01-09 23:41

    Old international sitting for who knows how long . Ran when parked rite lol. Seeing hows its an electronic engine be sure to check all your fuses also.

  6. #6RZucker2019-01-10 00:09

    I've seen the fuse/battery connection thing way too many times. Clean the terminals and check all the ECM feeds. Also, take the outlet line off the fuel pump and see if it's actually pushing fuel when it cranks. "Ran when parked" … so many possibles.[/QUOTE]

  7. #7MichaelMCC2019-01-10 18:45

    Guys any idea how to look up fault codes? I'm guessing I need a diagnostic tool to read those. The owner I bought it from said it shut off on him while driving and they parked it. The only fuse box I have seen is under the dash, but looks to only control light and truck accessories any idea where the other can be? I appreciate the help

  8. #8Lewis19182023-09-26 11:58

    I bought a truck with a 3176 7lg with a no start condition. Towed to a shop that diagnosed bad ecm. I found another ecm that he put in for me. I dove it home and drove it in the shed, it is now dead again. I checked fault codes from cruise control by key on, cruise off, hold resume/accelerate until cel blinks. I only get 1 and 2 for blinking codes. They just continue to blink, no codes that appear in the code list. I found a wire that rubbed through the plastic shielding at the starter. It's the wire that only energizes when the starter button is pushed. I suspect the ecm is damaged by this partial short circuit. These ecm's are getting harder to find and expensive. Are the repair services reliable? If I pull it apart what am I looking for, burned connections on a circuit board? Any suggestions as to where to send it, or find another ecm?

  9. #9Lewis19182024-07-23 17:17

    Update: I sent ecm off to FL for testing. They sent it back saying it's OK. I have 110 psi fuel pressure after the filter at the siphon block. I only get 40ish psi after the siphon bock, I think I will try a new pressure regulator next.

  10. #10Greymarketguru2025-11-06 16:18

    I have a 3176 with the same issue. Did you ever get it figured out?