Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mack e/7 engine transmission to eaton?

crane operator · 2019-01-09 20:39

Do the mack triple shaft transmissions use the same SAE bellhousing/ bolt pattern as everything else- or are they some oddball thing? This is for a crane that I'm looking at repowering, and I'm wanting to put in the Mack engine instead of the 6-71 detroit I have now. I don't have room for the triple shaft mack trans, I think it will stick down too far and will interfere with my second steer axle. A eaton twin shaft is a lot flatter and gives me a little more room. I won't be able to use the current rt613 that is in the crane- it won't handle that kind of torque, but I could use a bigger eaton. But if I get a mack em7 that had a mack trans, will it use a standard SAE bellhousing so I can just mount a eaton transmission to it? The mack engine i'm looking at has bolt holes in the flywheel housing so I don't need the transmission to have mounts. Motor I'm looking at:

Replies7
  1. #1Tenwheeler2019-01-09 22:33

    I am almost positive it will all bolt right up. Just make sure the diameter of the housing is the same. The clutch cross shaft is in the same spot on the bellhousing, many are set up for both. Mounting bolt holes are clocked the same. Do not know a good way to explain that. Tried to put a flywheel housing from a U or maybe RU in an R model one time. The engine in that was laid side ways a bit. The R engine stands straight up. Did a lot of work to do it again. I was young and following directions but it was still my fault? A torque spring on the back is not a bad idea.

  2. #2petepilot2019-01-09 22:38

    c/o i assisted a fellow quite a few years ago to transplant a complete mack running gear into an 18 ton grove` used an e6 350 - a 10 spd mack trans 4.73 rears and made it all work where a 4-71 detroit eng. was. so what you are doing will work . his only had a single steer axle but i`m sure there is a way around your twin steer

  3. #3Junkyard2019-01-09 22:49

    Mack used Eaton trans in trucks for quite a few years, I don’t see any reason it won’t work. I do have an 18 speed sitting around......

  4. #4walkerv2019-01-09 23:03

    If this upload works here is the latest service bulletin i have on mack flywheel housing includes all the variations of e7 mechanical engine listed as e7 pln. Looks like it will work no seperate listings for manual tranny types just a different one for an automatic

  5. #5crane operator2019-01-09 23:39

    Thanks for the info guys- I've just got one mack- its mack trans., but I've never messed with mack's much to know what works with them. I have seen mack's with eaton trans, I just didn't know if it required a different flywheel housing. I did a pair of 25 ton cranes a couple years ago- 3208 to 8.3 cummins. I've done a daewoo to a L10 cummins in a 40 ton 3 axle. I've been around a tms 300 like mine that had the 240 to L10 transplant and a 45 ton (same carrier) that had a NTC 400 shoved in- and it had a 8ll behind it. The L10 fit a little better than the 400- but it was underpowered. I've seen one tms 300 like mine on a sale that had a mack, and it looked like a nice fit. The only things on the pass side of the mack engine are alt. and oil filters. Its a real pain to deal with air comp. or inject pump on the drivers side. I got this 444 and a 15 speed like 7-8 years ago, and its been sitting around on my shop floor since then, waiting for this transplant. The 444 I have still needs converted to high flow cooling, which I had the stuff rounded all up for at one time- who knows how much has walked off or disappeared in the bowels of my shop building. I've actually "inframed" (with the engine out of the crane) the 6-71 once since buying the 444, I didn't have time then to do the swap, I needed the crane. I should just use the 444- I own it. Its just going to be really- really tight. I actually thought about doing a straight 9 or 10 speed instead of 15 or a 13 or 8ll, just because they are 6" shorter. If I could use the little bit shorter mack engine, I could put in the 15. But the Mack needs a air to air- and there's no room to worm the piping around the radiator, may have to go under it, or modify the hoods. The fabricated frame on the cranes are both tall and narrow, and the drivers side is pretty low access. I actually cut a hole in one of the 25 ton cabs to get at the air compressor this summer. I have twin steers under, a big outrigger box at the rear, and a driveshaft off the front driving the pumps, so room to grow in any direction is tough. The NTC 400 that I was around, actually set just slightly crooked in the frame to clear everything. And it's oil filter about rubbed the frame. I think I'm partly just looking at mack engines to delay starting in on the 444- being wishy washy so to speak. I've kind of looked at 12.7 detroit 60 series pretty hard, but am trying to avoid having a electrical job in addition to making the engine fit.

  6. #6petepilot2019-01-10 00:16

    fwiw that little grove once he got all the bugs out ran around the n.va- wash dc. area faster than anything else its size did and i think its still around the catlett va. area

  7. #7repowerguy2019-01-10 04:59

    Several years ago I swapped out a 9 speed Mack trans in a Super Liner to a 15 speed Roadranger. I had to find a bell with mounting holes for the mounts for the transmission. The engine flywheel housing is the same. With the mount holes on your flywheel housing already there, it looks like it should work. It should have a SAE 1 housing on it now.