Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 JD 310D stiff brake pedal

YorkYTJ95 ยท 2014-12-02 18:35

I have a 94 310D that I bought last year with 5k hrs on it. After fixing a few leaking hyd cylinders the only other complaint was the brake pedals were stiff as a brick. If you really mashed them they'd stop the loader but they wouldn't release so you had to pull them back out by hand. also the tractor really struggles in 3rd and 4th gear going up the slightest grade. going down the grade or flat it will get up to speed. Since the brakes haven't worked right I have used the parking brake to bring the tractor to a stop on a number of occasions like an idiot:Banghead. After reading other threads I see that was stupid. anyway any advice on where to start on the stiff brakes and maybe the lack of go in 3rd and 4th. thx!!!

Replies4
  1. #1kshansen2014-12-02 20:22

    I'd be starting by removing the peddles and shaft and clean those up to make sure it's not just a simple mechanical problem. Note parts 28 through 34, there are two of each of these, one in each bore in housing.

  2. #2Chisumtrail2014-12-02 22:12

    The pin and bearing#18and 20 in kshansen's post is bad about binding up, tap it with a hammer and see if it moves. I think you have to take complete valve assembly out to get pin out, and clean pin and change bearings if needed.

  3. #3kshansen2014-12-03 05:24

    I think you meant 21, 20 is the lock to lock the two peddles together.

  4. #4Chisumtrail2014-12-03 22:05

    Yea, can't read.