I am not a mechanic but learning a lot from you guys ... thanks very much ! I have realized this weekend that I have no more heat in the backhoe, and winter is coming soon. The coolant look ok, so I am suspecting it could be my thermostat. Can someone tell me where it is located in the Backhoe please? A picture would be much appreciated if possible Thanks
Have you looked for a shut off valve on one of the heater hoses ? They are typically on the engine . Is there a temperature control on the heater itself that may be turned too low ? Feel the hoses going to and from the heater core and find out if either one of them is warm when you have the engine up to operating temperature. Your engine thermostat should be in a housing that the top radiator hose is connected to. If you had heat in the cab and now you don't it could be the engine thermostat. If it is over a year old , put in a new one just to be sure you have one that is the correct temperature.
Thx Thinkerer! I have tried the temp control from Min to Max and there was no change. The machine is at my cottage so this weekend I will check the valve and all the hoses and bring a new thermostat with me. I should be able to find where the thermostat is located on the machine but if anyone have a picture it would be appreciated Thank again !
I can't help help you with a picture, follow the top radiator hose to the lower end, your thermostat will be there. Be sure to use a new gasket with some black RTV cement. Also when the machine gets up to operating temperature after installing the t-stat CAREFULLY remove the radiator cap and add more anti-freeze until the radiator is full. There is a chance the cab heater could get an air bubble in it and prevent coolant from circulating through it.
Thermostat changed and I have heat again in the cab. Thx again Thinkerer!