Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 575D ford/new Holland starter issues

timh2966 · 2024-07-24 17:47

Hello all looking for ideas on a starting issue with my 575D ford/new holland backhoe. In January I went to start it and I could not get it to fire(cranked over fine), ran the battery dead. Charged the battery and only got a click from the starter, battery turned out to have a bad cell. Bought a new battery (195 CCA Napa Gold), but still only a click (a single click, not liKe trying to start a vehicle with a weak battery). So I pulled the starter and bench tested it and all was fine, took it to Napa and had it load tested, passed. reinstalled starter and first few key turns still just a single click. Pulled new battery charged overnight installed the next morning and the old girl turned over. Had to burp the fuel system and after that tried again and just a click, rechecked tightness of battery cables, tried again and she fired up. Turned it off after about 25 seconds of running to check for leaks go back to start it up an just the single click. massaging the positive battery cable at battery end I found a nice “crunchy” section and thought this was going to be the problem. Replaced the entire cable soldered on two new connections put the girl back together and nothing but a single click with key turn! All “clicks” mentioned above are with a single key turn, all other buzzers, lights and electrical are working including safety lock outs. What am I missing? ignition switch? Starter relay? Or starter solenoid? up until now no issues at all with starting, even after sitting for months Thank you

Replies4
  1. #1HarleyHappy2024-07-25 09:15

    If you’re hearing a click, your ignition circuit is working, so I would be going after the starter solenoid. More than likely the plate or contacts are frosted.

  2. #2timh29662024-07-25 09:59

    I will start there, thank you

  3. #3stinky642024-07-25 10:49

    You massaged, cleaned and replaced positive cable, how about the ground cable and connections? Replace or at least thoroughly inspect that one too and make sure ground connections are clean and shiny before reattaching including any other ground straps to engine block and chassis. Maybe start there first.

  4. #4timh29662024-07-25 15:14

    Thank you for the idea, have inspected and tested with a meter as well. I am taking the starter to a local electric motor rebuild shop for an expert test and inspection.