I am meeting with a guy tomorrow to look at a 928F Cat loader. He sent me its and it looks very, very clean and has less then 2000 hours. I have had my Cat dealer do a history check on it and the hours are correct they have done all the service on the loader since they sold in back in July of 1995. It has CAB HEAT , A/C R/C BASE EDGE, PREHEATER, 4 SPEED, 20.5 R25 XTLA tires. Anything I should look for? Any known problems that I should check on this loader? I am while I am looking at it taking oil samples and having them all checked out before I pick it up. With such low hours I am hoping to get many good years out of this loader loading mulch, salt, sand, and doing snow removal. Any help would be great Thanks
Also have any of you used these 928F loaders how did you like them? What kind of hours have you been seeing before engine and transmission problems or over hauls are needed?
I would have the coolant checked for diesel fuel to make sure there is not problem with injector sleeve o-rings. I don't know for sure if this could be a problem on your engine but it was a problem on an CAT engine in a truck that I bought. I did not find out about it until after I bought the truck and had to have it fixed. Next time I will have all the fluids anaylized, oil, anti-freeze, hydraulic, and fuel before the purchase. It will save you money in the long run. Doing this on any piece of equipment you are going to buy is cheap insurance. The machine your looking at sounds like good one if it passes all the fluid anaylisis tests. Let us all know what happens.
I know it's not the same size, but we have a 938F that we use for a yard loader (loading trucks, pushing up gravel piles, loading and unloading stuff off trailers). We bought it with 5,000 hours and it's up to about 10,000 now. The only real problem we had with it was a worn spring in the injector pump that made it lose power. Its a great loader to operate, no complaints
With only 2000 hours on a 17 year old machine you should be golden unless the loader was beat on left and right.
Fluids all came back good, picking it up monday and hopping that we get some snow so we can put some hours on it and check them again... I am going to switch it over to all Amsoil synthetics so I hope that will help it last. In about 3 weeks we are getting 400 yards of mulch so I will let you all know then how it runs. Keeping my fingers crossed...
only drama's with low houred older units is you may see leaks from the seals going old and hard, as mentioned the engines did have issues with the injector sleaves but you should be pretty right with it, sounds like a gem with those sort of genuine hours on the clock, be sure to get the uni-joint a good grease when you service it too
We have a 1994 950f with 20000 hours on it and still going strong also had a 94 938f that had 18000 and never had anything done. Good luck with the new loader
That is a good thing to know for sure, I am hopping with all new fluids and us keeping up with the small stuff it will last awhile... We had been looking for a 938 but didnt really have any luck finding one at all with less then 10k hours that was under $60k
Don't bother with the Amsoil, just use a high quality oil in the machine, and sample and change filters as needed. Believe it or now Cat Oils do cost more, but have many advnatages over some.
You think they are better then the Amsoil? I can get the Amsoil at cost that is why I was going to run it.
Synthetics are a waste of time in your application in my opinion. Stick with a good quality mineral oil, make sure you change filters as per the service schedule and you should be good.
Well things didnt work out and I am not happy at all. I told my dealer I wanted the loader last week and told them I would pick it up today after 3pm. I drove the 3 hours to get it and showed up and they sold it this morning to another person... Not very happy... It was not my sales guy fault he put a hold on it and everything but they still sold it out from under him and I, we are both pissed off about the same amount... So now I am back in the hunt for a new machine and sold my backhoe to buy this loader and now having nothing with 3 snow removal contracts... I guess the lesson here is never let one go till the other is in the lot...
What the point of reserving a machine if someone else at the dealer can still sell it? weak! I would be more than upset..
hey I am pissed but they know they owe me now so they and they are looking around. If they want my money they will work for it now...
Hope it wasn't our local CAT dealer here in Ct. I have done business with them for years and they were always very good to deal with.
It may work in your favour. They'll be so busy falling over themselves to get something that if you're lucky you'll end up with something better than what you were looking at in the first place.
test
Hey, did you sort out another machine? MP
No I am still looking... I have been looking at a couple of 2009 Cat 928 loaders with less then 1000 hours of all of them. They dealer has about 15 of them so we are taking prices now but I am in big rush, most of what we do with the backhoes and loaders is snow removal. I have a large contract for next winter and I have to get one for that but untill then am waiting for a deal to come alone. I am going to play the "you sold a machine I had on hold" card when time come for final numbers.
Is the 8C3508 instrument panel for the 928F the same as for the 938F.? I need to replace the 928F with the 938F panel.
The 8C3508 EMS Panel fitted to the 928F is not used on the 938F. The EMS Panel on the 938F is physically a much larger unit containing more functions. Options for replacing a non-functioning 8C3508 include 166-2049 or 171-9842 that are both updated numbers.
I have a 1995 928F in Kenya that I bought in florida. It has about 6000 hrs. I am selling it. It needs a 8C3508 instrument panel. Call me at +254713514520 to discuss.
Thank you sir. Would a 938F dashboard fit into the 928F and the 938F Panel still be diligently made to work with the 928F machine? Your input will be appreciated.
I would think not. They are a different physical shape and from what I can the wiring is very different between the two. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it certainly would not be an easy exchange to make.