Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 chevy kodiak transmission

rickw ยท 2014-09-02 06:41

I have a 95 kodiak w/ a 366 gas and a 5 speed trans w/ a 2 speed rear dumptruck. Trans need some work or just replaced. It grinds going into 3rd and just dont work right. I have been told that it is better to just buy a rebuilt one. Where would I go to find one? Where r the numbers located so I know what I have?

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2014-09-02 22:01

    On an old gas truck I'd find a used one, but I don't know what a rebuilt will cost, or how much you depend on the truck and how much you plan to use it. There should be a build sticker behind the seat that lists the codes for all the components, or try to find the tag on the transmission.

  2. #2rickw2014-09-03 06:33

    There is a build sticker on the back wall. I will look at it. I am not quite sure how to read all the codes though. It is worth putting a tranny in. Truck has 75k miles and never plowed with.

  3. #3mechaniac2014-09-05 23:54

    I think the transmission needs a 2nd and 3rd speed syncronizer and a complete bearing kit. The 3rd speed gear may need replaced if it has been grinding for awhile. Has this truck been towed or pulled without pulling the driveshaft? If so there may damage to the mainshaft due to no lubrication during the tow. I would guess to say the transmission is either a Eaton or Clark 5 speed and I have rebuilt many of both for less than a rebuilt unit. I use the old adage why buy something that you don't know what has been put in new rather rebuild the one you have and be confident that all the parts that needed to be or are questionable for long life have been replaced. May cost a bit more sometimes but the peace of mind and dependability are well worth it!!!!!

  4. #4rickw2014-09-07 07:21

    Thanks for the info Mechanic. I dont think it has been towed. I have a trans guy that said he should be able to rebuild it, he normally does automotive trans. I have a 82 chevy w/ a 5 speed that feels better than this one. The pattern is so close on the 95 and it just feels soft. The 82 has a wider pattern and feels solid when shifting. Probably feels soft do to being wore out?