Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuild air cylinder?

Orchard Ex ยท 2014-09-04 20:06

The air cylinder on my tailgate latch has is leaking. Can they be rebuilt like you would rebuild a hydraulic cylinder? Anyone have a source for parts?

Replies4
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-09-04 21:38

    If you have a hyd shop close by they should be able to repair it. Unless you have owned it since new, the dump body make may not help due to them being replaced or changed out also. You will need to pull it down to see what type of seals the vender used. Depending on the use and conditions the rod chrome could also be bad and the hyd shop or complete replacement be the only option. We use a lot of the Godwin dump beds, they have a good parts dept and ship quick when we need them.

  2. #2CM19952014-09-05 08:12

    Is it on your Pete with the Ox body? Ox has a pretty good parts department, I would check on the price of a new one. It might be cheaper than repair.

  3. #3Orchard Ex2014-09-06 18:02

    Thanks guys, I'll have to pull it to try and get a model number. CM - Yep, it's on the Pete with the Ox. They have several listed on the parts site. Fingers crossed that it will be the cheapest one. I'm betting that shipping will add a chunk to the price though. I guess we'll see this week.

  4. #4grandpa2014-09-06 18:21

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velvac-3-5-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9659b7ef&vxp=mtr