Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 f800 clutch transmission question

John V · 2021-10-13 18:26

I experienced a new/unsettling sound from my f800 today. Transported a mini ex this morning no problems, when to run her again in the afternoon and she started with some clunks and squeals, crawled under her and watched (what I think is) the throwout bearing rattling around: I had no idea there was a lube fitting on a throwout bearing. I've owned the truck since Feb, no idea when it was last greased. I'm guessing all the violent sounds was it self destructing. I can still actuate the clutch/shift/drive, but it occasionally sounds really bad. Guess it's time for a clutch job. Couple questions: I haven't had issues with my clutch, so I'm probably just going to replace the throwout bearing. Cheapest clutch kits I've seen (that are out-of-stock) are about $900. Do you normally replace just the bearing, or the clutch fork portion as well? My transmission is a Fuller FS-6206-A, the second '6' indicating 6 forward gears. However, the F800 only has 5 forward gears. Can someone explain? The Ford service manual does not mention a FS6206, only a FS6205.

Replies5
  1. #1funwithfuel2021-10-14 06:26

    I can't speak to the model number issue. But as far as the clutch, you don't get a T/O bearing. You get a clutch kit. The T/O is an integral piece of the pressure plate. Do you feel the noise in the pedal? In other words does the knock translate into a vibration or pulse you can feel in the pedal. If you grease the release bearing, does it quiet down?

  2. #2Truck Shop2021-10-14 08:45

    Next thing-you will push the pedal down and it will pull through the snap ring on the T/O bearing and the clutch pedal will go to the floor. Be ready to turn the ignition switch off.

  3. #3John V2021-10-14 13:02

    https://youtube.com/shorts/49GRpbG47pM?feature=share Took it for a drive around the block and it got worse. https://youtube.com/shorts/49GRpbG47pM?feature=share U sed to stop squealing when I pushed in the clutch, now it still makes noise with the clutch pushed in. Gonna work on getting a new clutch. It just never ends…

  4. #4Jonas3022021-10-14 21:51

    see if you can find a tag or numbers on the clutch call a heavy truck shop and see what they can find 900 sounds high but maybe its a less popular item

  5. #5John V2021-10-14 23:10

    That’s the only tag on it. I called mid America and they said there are about 3 different options, so I need it pulled out before they can pinpoint the part number. I even asked them if there’s a stamped part number somewhere and they said no. Seems a bit silly? Hoping it’ll be cheaper than 900, since ima have to buy a transmission Jack