Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at mack but needs work….

dadanddaughterexcavation · 2021-10-13 16:18

looking at 1998 mack dump E7-460 with eaton fuller 18sp has 347k miles. I have a couple questions??? with that milage will motor need work soon? The guy also says "will need cross member that hold the rear suspension in the frame" My qustion is how big a deal is this? will it cost a boat load? I will include all the pics I was sent Thank you all I appreciate it.

Replies10
  1. #1dadanddaughterexcavation2021-10-13 16:19

    more pics

  2. #2dadanddaughterexcavation2021-10-13 16:20

    this is frame pics

  3. #3DB22021-10-13 16:43

    In Mack lingo it’s called a trunnion and involves a lot of work. Box will have to be removed.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2021-10-13 17:15

    By the loom of the double frame it needs rails

  5. #5Jonas3022021-10-13 17:37

    The engine will go another millon unless its already 1,347,000 The rearend is going to cost a boatload drive it to a heavy frame shop to get an estimate before making an offer could be a nice truck for the right money

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-10-13 20:53

    I guarantee the frame has rust jacking. When that trunnion crossmember is changed-getting all the bolts loose and knocking it out of there will break loose rust between those rails, it will never bolt back up quite right unless the frame is opened and scaled. Then cracks are found.

  7. #7Willie B2021-10-13 20:54

    NO NO NO!!! Don't walk away, run. I retired a truck with better frame than that. Fixing a rusty frame is not simple.

  8. #8_Weldman_2021-10-13 21:58

    Run Forrest Run!!! Unless you just want just the components and not a functional truck. Eighteen speeds for a dump truck, hope you don't have short hauls or you will spend more time rowing gears the whole time.

  9. #9JLarson2021-10-13 23:50

    Yikes, I'd forget I ever saw it. Bad frame rust jacking isn't something you want to mess with, I bet you disturb what's left of that trunnion and it goes down hill fast from there lol

  10. #10Tags2021-10-14 21:07

    I'll echo everyone else's comments, that's not a great truck because the frame is going to be an endless problem. Also, is there any chance that was an over the road truck converted to a dump truck? If so, it probably doesn't have heavy axles under it anyway.