I have a 1995 JCB 215S and when I put it in 4 wheel drive only the front wheels rotate. The rear drive shaft turns but not the wheels. In 2 wheel drive no wheels turn. There is no grinding or noise. Any ideas what might be going on? I was thinking maybe spider gears or a solenoid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jack machine off ground put in 2wd any thing happen? Put in neutral try to turn rear wheels what happens,what does it feel like
In two wheel drive nothing happens. In neutral it's very difficult to turn the rear wheels.
A broken axle is one possibility. Were there any grinding noises when it first quit moving in two wheel (rear) drive ? That would indicate a damaged ring and / or pinion gear. Draining the differential oil may show shiny metal or pieces of teeth.
Hi, had the same thing happen on my 08 3cx sitemaster recently. Rear axle had to taken off and split, turned out that the crown wheel retaining bolts had all sheared so although propshaft was turning, no connection to the halfshafts!! The sheared bolts took out a couple of bearings and some brake discs but could have been a lot worse if I'd been hammering it down the road at 40kph!!!
I drained the diff, there is no shavings. The driveshaft is spinning. I tested the solenoid and it's working. Is there a relay that might be blown?
The rear drive shaft is definitely spinning in 2wd, just not the wheels.
Sounds like you will need to open up the differential to see what happened to it.