I just purchased this machine and if I start it and I release the parking brake, it will not move in forward. If I put the selector in reverse, it moves backward. It seems to always move on the first try when I put it in reverse. But no forward movement. Usually if I cycle the parking brake a few times, then it will finally move forward. Any ideas what could be wrong? The transmission and reverser was completely rebuilt just before I bought the machine with all JD parts. It almost seems to me like maybe something is out of adjustment. I'm hoping it is something simple or maybe I am doing something wrong.
I would just follow the wires to the connection terminals and check them for corrosion. Spray contact cleaner into the connector and the plug and unplug the connector about 20 times. If it now works remove it once more and fill it with grease and plug it back in.
Thanks Deon. I just now saw your reply. Have been away for a week. I thought I would have gotten more responses from members on my question by now. After much thought about my problem, I'm thinking now it might not have anything to do with the emergency brake at all because if I put the shift lever in reverse, the machine will move backward EVERY TIME. But when I put the lever in forward, it will not ALWAYS move. So now my thoughts are that the problem is in the Forward and Reverse shifting lever on the steering column. Do you know how that system works when the shift lever is moved? Is it strictly mechanical? Or does that lever somehow electrically activate the reverser or transmission? As soon as I have some spare cash, I am going to purchase a service/repair manual for this machine. I think it would really help me figure this out.
The forward/reverse is an electrical switch-- no mechanical connection. It is not an uncommon issue for that lever switch to be n/g. If you are going to buy a manual, there are generally 2 manuals available-- one is an "operation and test" manual which has schematics and explanation how the systems work --Good for diagnosis. The other is a "repair" manual which only explains how to take things apart and put back together. It doesn't contain any diagnostic or theory of operation info.
Thanks Jonathan ! I probably have a bad switch or dirty connection on the switch. Appreciate the info on the manuals too.
Not sure if it is like a 310E, but it has 3 connections basically behind the fuel tank. They are in a vertical row. Check those.
Thanks ! I will check that. Are they underneath the machine, or is there a panel in the cab to access them?
No access. Crawl under fuel tank and should be just behind it if same
Those are MFWD, Parking brake, and differential lock solenoids. I have ran forward over small willow trees and when I backed up the tree pulled one loose enough that it no longer would reverse.
Thinking back, I don't think the D series had it. Won't hurt to look anyway. Maybe you will see something else while you are looking...lol
http://www.omnihost.us/files/JD310D/TM1496.PDF Peter H, This should keep you busy for a while.
Good idea to save it to you computer in case it disappears from the net.
Um the 410D was the last of that style powertrain Deere made in that the rear axle housed the axle and the ground speed or (transaxle as Deere called it) then in the E-series and later they have a transmission now and a rear axle. Your reverser just spins the transaxle forward or backward. That is all it does. The parking brake is a band around the ring gear inside the transaxle. The most commin problem was a reverser oil leak. Make sure to check your reverser oil with the engine running( it has a converter) pull the dipstick out and flip it over to make sure your not just looking at splash oil on the dipstick.
WOW! NICE! Do you have a similar link for JD 210LE?? Paul
No I don't and I just noticed Peter H has a 410D and not a 310D.
Peter_h ; If you do pack any connectors with grease be sure to use dielectric grease to prevent current bleeding between terminals. That grease is usually available where electrical supplies are sold.
The 210LE is not the same power train as the D series it is the same as a 310E or 310SE
I have the Deere SA software so I have all the books. I can print to pdf and email if I know what you want to see. But i cannot email the whole book. it is not in pdf form.
That is very kind of you to offer the pdf to me. And I appreciate all the help all the members here are offering me. I used the machine last week and just for the hell of it, I put the selector in Reverse and the machine moved with no problem just like it always does. When I put it in the Forward position, it did the same thing,,,,,would not move. But this time, I tried increasing the throttle and it moved forward a little bit and then I got an error message about a dirty or blocked hydraulic filter. A second attempt to move it forward by accelerating, and it moved fine with no error message. So now I'm not so sure it is electrical at all. Might be a dirty filter, but then I'm thinking why would it not do that in reverse, but only in forward. Is there a separate filter for each direction of flow. Would be interested to hear what you guys thought about that.