CASE 480E. Any suggestions on how to remove a frozen hydraulic reservoir drain plug? I tried removing the drain plug with a 1" 1/8" socket and 3' foot breaker bar, no luck. Before I put an extension pipe on the breaker bar and break something, I wanted to see if anyone had luck removing the plug. I am trying to drain off the water from the hydraulic system. Maybe there is a fitting I can loosen to drain the water out.
Is it a tapered thread pipe plug or a parallel thread plug with some sort of copper washer?
Hit it hard several times with a 2 lb hammer. I ran a lube truck for a very large construction company for several years and encountered that situation many times. The hammer trick never failed to work.
Cmark: Not sure the thread style, however the parts manual states the plug is "HEX HEAD NPT 3/4." Tinkerer: I will try hitting it several times with a 2 lb hammer, on the hex head. I will put a piece of junk metal in between so I don't damage the hex head. My upside hammer blows are not to accurate.
NPT is national pipe taper. Don't worry about messing up the head, you can always replace it once it's out, you have to hit the head solid to loosen the plug in my experience. If all else fails, you can weld a bead on that plug, let it cool and it will come out.
Ya always get a gorilla that over tightens...All these dorks do is stretch the female side out and make it tough to get it to reseal next time doing no one any favors. Whack it with a hammer like suggested. Mine was so tight I ended up whacking the crap out of it AND applying a 36" pipe wrench . On a JD, the plug is a 3/4" or 1" NPT iron plug BUT it has a 1/4" rod with a light spring holding up a magnet to catch ferrous filings. I was glad I got it off intact. When reinstalling, use some liquid sealant like RectorSeal and teflon tape on the threads then tighten it just 'till it won't leak.
I got it after whacking in about 10 times and a four foot breaker bar. Thanks Tinkerer and everyone else for your assistance. Know I have flush out the reservoir and get the water and debrie, black gunk, out of the bottom of the tank. Mike from Medina
Nice to hear you got it out. I learned about the hammer method years ago. It was on a Caterpillar 977 track loader hydraulic filter. The old ones with the assembly on the left side of the machine had a high pressure housing and the lid was held on with hex head bolts. Those bolts were notorious for being a real Bi### to get out. A few hits with a hammer and they would be unbelievably easy to get out.