Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 volvo L180 rpm speed

zlssefi ยท 2020-01-20 19:52

In the last few storms my guys have been saying that our l180 loader hasn't been spinning enough rpms. They tell me that the screen shows 1900 rpms at max throttle and say it seems a tick down on power. Ive checked the pedal adjustment and it appears to be coming all the way to the stop on the injection pump. Do you guys have any other ideas as to why it may not be coming up to full rpm?? Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1funwithfuel2020-01-20 23:28

    Should be bumping 22-2300 RPM high free idle. I'm guessing your not getting full travel on throttle linkage, shut off lever is not 100%returning to fuel on or your starving for fuel. Is your slurry bowl full of water and muck? Serial number or at least machine series helps a lot.

  2. #2zlssefi2020-01-21 06:59

    Slurry bowl has been cleaned and is spotless. Fuel filters have about 100 hrs on them. I thought those could be getting tight, but the machine gives us no starting issues, doesnt skip etc.

  3. #3zlssefi2020-01-21 07:07

    I will double check the shutoff solenoid though, didnt think of that!!

  4. #4funwithfuel2020-01-21 07:09

    So what series are we working with. Straight, C, D early E. Have you checked the bell crank throttle under the cab. The pivot likes to corrode and give up travel right there.

  5. #5zlssefi2020-01-21 07:16

    Straight 180. I checked the bell crank and it moves freely with your fingers, the adjustment there is bottomed out which is odd. Ive owned the machine since 2011 and have never touched it.

  6. #6funwithfuel2020-01-21 07:23

    I highly doubt the pump is at issue, but to confirm , have your operator floor the throttle while observing the rpm. Then reach in and see if you can push the lever further and gain any engine speed. If your firmly against the stop, its pump, if not, cable and linkage. If its pump related, we have to check flow. It's common to have fuel hoses from tank to slurry bowl collapsing internally. There are other possibilities, but we keep to simplest first.

  7. #7zlssefi2020-01-21 07:27

    Makes sense. I will note that the fuel feed from the tank to slurry bowl was replaced prior to the start of this season, so that is brand new. Not that brand new parts don't have issues but I did that because the old hose's jacket was starting to peel.

  8. #8zlssefi2020-01-21 16:40

    All fixed. The arm on the pump was 1/4 inch off the stop on the pump. Come to find out the throttle bellcrank bushings were shot and it started wearing into the aluminum. I machined the piece and slid a steel tube in place to repair it. All good now. Thanks for the help!!

  9. #9funwithfuel2020-01-21 16:41

    Awesome, thanks for reporting what it was. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.