Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Case 580L brakes

Big Daddy Den · 2020-05-13 15:34

Sorry if this has been asked before, I don’t have time to go through over 400 threads. I have a 1996 Case 580L and the left brake seems to work fine but the issue is the right one I’m able to put it to the floor and no response. I’m hoping I can adjust it but don’t know where the adjustment bolts are. Too cheap to spend the $5-6000 for a complete brake job at the dealer. I’m hoping for an easy fix. Can someone help out? Thx Dennis

Replies10
  1. #1highwayghost2020-05-13 15:55

    If it has the same as mine, it's a hydraulic type wet brake. May need bleed, similar to car brakes. Two small rubber hydraulic lines go to the rear axle housing, one for each, L/R brake. There is a breeder valve on the top of the axle housing near where each line connects. The fluid for the brakes comes from the hydraulic system. Never hurts to change the rear axle oil, as the wet brakes run it that oil. Be sure to use the recommended oil only and add the rear end additive for the wet brakes.

  2. #2Big Daddy Den2020-05-13 16:59

    Thanks I’ll take a look, I read somewhere that the machine needs to be running in order to bleed. Any thoughts o that?

  3. #3highwayghost2020-05-13 18:42

    I can't get to my manual now to check, but I suspect you are correct. Since the brakes get the fluid from the hydraulic system, it would make sense that the machine is running to keep up supply.

  4. #4Big Daddy Den2020-05-13 20:05

    Perfect, thanks again.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-05-13 22:08
  6. #6Big Daddy Den2020-05-14 06:56

    Thanks, I’ll try this on the weekend. Appreciate all the help.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-05-14 07:52

    Check your reservoir for your brakes which is filled from the return side of the hyd. filter. I had one that the reservoir wouldn't fill up correctly and the right brake wouldn't stay bled. There is a tube in the drain spud of the reservoir that should stick up into it for the fluid level so it will keep fluid. Check for leak in master cyl. also may have to rebuild it.

  8. #8Big Daddy Den2020-05-14 08:33

    Okay, thanks. Do you have to pull off the console to access the master cylinders?

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2020-05-14 20:53

    No they are on the outside under the panel just in front of the windshield. But you do need to remove the screws that hold the front console on to gain access to the pin for the master cylinder plunger pin in the brake pedal arm if you need to remove cylinder.

  10. #10Big Daddy Den2020-05-14 21:10

    okay thanks, will be checking it out this weekend.