Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with identifying which Cab for Caterpillar 426

edgephoto · 2020-05-13 21:19

I have a Cat 426 backhoe that I am doing a bunch of work on. Getting around to stuff in the cab. I need some small parts for it and most of the glass panels. I have parts Catalogue SEBP1569. My machine's Serial is 7BC1569 Here is my question. How do I know which platform I have and which Cab I have. Some of the glass is different depending on which version I have? Thanks!

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2020-05-13 21:40

    Need to look at Build Dates. Your machne was built November 1987. Top level Cab Arrangement is 9R-1045. That Cab Ar contains 9R-2720 Cab & Platform Ar. Now 9R-2720 was originally built with 9R-0090 Cab Gp but in January 1987 that changed to a 9R-5645 Cab Gp that was used up until February 1990. So provided your cab is original it appears to be a 9R-5645. If you need to dig deeper let me know.

  2. #2edgephoto2020-05-13 22:13

    Interesting as my Cab has a small rectangle window in the lower rear of the cab. I believe is part number 9R-1829. That shows it in Cab 9R-0090 Type 1 and Type 2. The cab looks to be original to the machine. Paint and patina match. I work for an automotive manufacturer. Many times our cutoffs are not exact as the parts catalogue. Sometime what is supposed to be there is not. Older part is on a car after the cutoff or a part is there that is supposed not be there. Is Cat the same way? I am not restoring this machine just fixing her up. I like everything to work as is is supposed to. So finding the little bits for the cab is driving me crazy. I also need to get some glass panels for it but am leaning toward UV stable polycarbonate. Some of the windows are cheap fogged up Plexiglass, a couple are missing and some are just broken. There are small windows at the front of the platform that I need. Both are missing. I found 3 different part numbers for them. I do not want to order the wrong ones. Stuff is not cheap. Any help would be great!

  3. #3Nige2020-05-13 22:19

    Are the glass panels you're looking for flat or curved..? if flat, your best bet is to have an automtoive glass company cut panels to pattern for you.

  4. #4edgephoto2020-05-13 22:50

    All the panels in this machine are flat. I might try and source some UV stable, scratch resistant polycarbonate sheets and cut new panels. Less issues with breakage and I can cut them myself.

  5. #5edgephoto2020-05-13 23:01

    The windshields maybe I will do in glass because of the wiper. Although for me it may not be an issue. This is for my use and if it is raining I probably won't be out in it

  6. #6Nige2020-05-13 23:13

    You’ll find that laminated glass will be cheaper long-term than polycarbonate and has the advantage of being scratch resistant. Have a look in the usual sources for a glass company near you, just not the type that fits auto windshields for a living. A reputable company will come to you and do the job on site, including installation.

  7. #7edgephoto2020-05-13 23:30

    Thanks for the advice. Yes I plan to get a quote from a real glass company not the windshield hacks.