Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Cat 315L final drive and swing drive oil

ToxicTrav117 ยท 2020-06-14 22:04

What oil do you guys run in your final and swing drives? It gives me many options in the maintenance manual and not sure what to use. I live in Massachusetts so it gets fairly cold in the winter.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2020-06-16 13:28

    Serial Number please. Then I can look at the same manual you're looking at. The oil for both swing and final drives should be one that meets Caterpillar TO-4 specification. The only doubt is regarding what viscosity to select.

  2. #2ToxicTrav1172020-06-16 13:33

    Serial number is 6YM01670

  3. #3Nige2020-06-16 13:45

    I guess the table above is what you're looking at. If it was mine I would put SAE50 TO-4 in it. If you're confident that the upper limit of summer temperatures is not going to be above 80F then you could consider SAE30 TO-4. SAE30 would give you improved low temperature performance down to -20C/-4F ambient. The last alternative is Cat TDTO-TMS oil. This is a multi-grade synthetic oil that did not exist when your 315 was manufactured, therefore it's not in your manual. It will give you ambient temperature coverage right the way from -20C to +40C (-4F to 104F). See attachment. Don't expect it to be cheap though. Other major oil companies may well also market a synthetic multi-grade TO-4.

  4. #4ToxicTrav1172020-06-16 20:48

    I'm still fairly new to this so bear with me. So I can use any TO-4 SAE 50 labeled oil other than engine oil? What brand do you recommend?

  5. #5Nige2020-06-17 06:28

    There is a major difference between engine oil and TO-4. TO-4 oil is designed for power transmission (gearboxes, transmissions, planetary drives, etc) You can use any oil that is marked something like "meets Caterpillar TO-4 specification". I would recommend that you use an oil from one of the major oil companies, I don't like parts store brands. However at the end of the day it's your machine and you can buy what you want for it. A couple of examples of SAE 50 TO-4 oils would be Mobiltrans HD50, Shell Spirax S4 CX50, or Conoco Powerdrive 50. To find the equivalents from any other major oil company, simple Google using the expressions - SAE 50 TO-4 + "oil company name" I did it for Texaco and this is what it came up with - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=SAE50+TO-4+++Texaco - the oil is Chevron DELO TorqForce. available in 10W, 30, 50, & 60 grades.

  6. #6ToxicTrav1172020-06-17 08:18

    Thanks for the help it's much appreciated.

  7. #7heymccall2020-06-17 19:57

    I know this isn't a listed oil, but, I run CJ4 15W40 motor oil in all my finals and swing boxes that call for SAE50. I've run a few out over 20k hours, and never an oil related swing or travel gearbox issue. It isn't listed, but, it works for me.