Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Cat 525A Grapple Skidder part # needed

Hallback ยท 2015-01-22 11:37

For the grapple control buttons and harness. Dual function fixed grapple. Thank you!

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2015-01-22 12:36

    Need more info. Serial Number is 1DNxxxxx I assume..? There are a number of Serial Number breaks in the range, I can see 3 types of joystick handle for the grapple control for a start ..... Post a photo of what you're looking for. PM me your machine Serial Number if you don't want to post it here.

  2. #2Hallback2015-01-22 13:15

    I tested the buttons and harness with a meter and all shows good but at idle you can here it stroke the pump every 30 seconds or so and see a pilot line that runs up into the cab "jump" when it strokes. Not sure where to chase from here.

  3. #3Nige2015-01-22 13:23

    Would an Electrical Schematic help in your diagnosis..? If yes, PM me your email address and the machine Serial Number.

  4. #4Hallback2015-01-22 14:41

    It would very much so. Thank you!

  5. #5Tacodriver2015-01-22 21:29

    Sounds like our 525, something in brake system was bypassing and causing pump to stroke up when pressure got to low.

  6. #6partsandservice2015-01-22 22:50

    The jump in the hose is the brake accumulator recharging. The accumulator gas charge could be low and/ or there is internal damage to the accumulator control valve.

  7. #7Hallback2015-01-23 13:04

    Thank you guys!! Here is the harness and switches I need. It is such a cobbled up mess I just want to replace it all!! The female plug (orange faced) has 12V to all but one pin and the male plug only has 12V to 5 out of 8 pins. I think there lies my problem. Anyone know the part number to get a whole new harness and switch setup?

  8. #8Nige2015-01-23 13:39

    I think what you have there is a lash-up. The splices in the harness as shown in your 2nd photo seem to indicate someone's been in there before you ..... For your machine Serial Number what is shown for the grapple controls are 2 rocker switches, not 4 push buttons like you have. The 4 push buttons only came in at machines of a much higher Serial Number than yours. Also the joystick with the push buttons does not have a rectangular top, its more diamond-shaped. What it appears to me is the someone has installed the later-style push buttons in an earlier type of joystick and bodged the harness to make them work. I think if you wanted to go totally to the push buttons then the joystick would have to be replaced with the newer style. I'll email you everything I can find.

  9. #9Hallback2015-01-23 14:16

    Thanks Nige!! I would like to go back to rocker switches honestly.

  10. #10Nige2015-01-23 14:51

    You may find that the plate that fits in the centre of the handle has been butchered to fit the press buttons, so I'd guess that would have to be replaced as well. All the Part Numbers are there in what I sent you IIRC. The only worry I have is the connector at the bottom, the one listed in the Parts Manual doesn't look like the one you have, although the illustration could be wrong - they often are. I can't get to the breakdown of the Cable As to see what the part number of the 8-pin connector at the end of it is ......