Looking at a Cat D3C, on Ritchiespecs it says nothing about natural aspiration or whether it's turbo charged. Thanks! Zack
I'm not 100% sure so maybe I shouldn't reply. Here goes nothing. As far as I am aware Cat has never offered turbo on the 3s.
No turbo.
:-( oh well one less thing to break... Thanks guys
A little off subject , how can you tell if the turbo is working on a D4H with the 3204 engine? I know the fan spins had the engine running one timewhile changing the filters, and I think I hear it coasting to a stop after shutting down.
If the turbo isn't working then it failed and you will have oil in the intake, possible metal in the intake and the engine will smoke and will be low on power. If you pull the intake hose off, feel the impeller. It will spin but will drag on the housing, that ok. It should have no end to end play. The output hose should be clean and no oil residue. No fins should be broken off. The best way is to check boost pressure. Turbo may be ok but you have a boost leak. you will normally hear a whistle.
Is there a special tool that is used to check boost pressure? or what steps do I need to take to check boost pressure?
TH, You will need to install a 50 lb. gauge on the outlet of the turbo, not a 100% sure if there is a port on that machine somewhere between the turbo and the head there should be. Keep in mind you will see very little boost without working the machine, one more thing if your having power problems it could be fuel or even intake side of the turbo like the air filter. The engine must being performing well to build the boost it should.
Yeah, just get a little gauge and some small hydraulic hose (like a new grease gun hose) and some fittings and build one. Lots of times, there's a pipe plug somewhere in the intake that you can screw out and adapt your test hose into. Just put the gauge where you can see it when you work the tractor.
Thanks guys, as always you guys are the greatest