Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D39E-1 opinions.

Dickjr. ยท 2011-04-03 15:40

I have one of these Dresser / Komatsu D39 dozers. I like the machine well for what I do, but wanting opinions and advice on things to look out for on this machine. It has 3200hrs. I just put a set of rails and drive sprockets on. One thing the high idle rpm seem a little low , have not checked with a tool yet. Also what is a fair rate for this machine , I am charging 80$ per hour , 4 hour minimum and a 1 hour drop fee , so its actually 3 hours run time. I had a D6H , around here there is not enough work , and people are running them for 115$ per hour. I can't move as much material as fast but I am not starving paying fuel bill etc . Opinions wanted , thanks Djr.

Replies2
  1. #1FWD2011-04-05 15:53

    I have a TD9-H with 2800+ hours on it. Very little trouble with it. When I got it at around 2000 hours the high idle seemed low and also the fan would occasionally hit the finger guard. I put new rear motor mounts in it and solved both problems. I never did check the speed, but it worked much better after the motor mount install. I charged $80 per hour the last several years, but with the cost of everything going up, especially the fuel, this year I am charging $85. I generally don't have a minimum, but charge for moving too. I know how the urge to work cheaper for more work goes, but generally it's not a good idea. TD9-H and D39E are the same. FWD

  2. #2Dickjr.2011-04-06 12:51

    Wonder if I should check my mounts also , the engine seems to be only turning around 2000 rpm. To be honest I kind of like the little tractor fine. I have looked at the Dressta site at the new ones , there is not much difference just a few more electronics. Gotcha on the work cheaper thing , sometimes your better off stting than breaking even.