Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 JCB 214 4 wheel drive

A Spence ยท 2014-08-25 12:54

My 4 wheel drive has stopped working on my 214. I have power from the switch to the Electro magnet at the transfer case and the electro magnet is working when its energized. Any ideas from the experts on what i can check next? Not sure what happens after the magnet sends its signal to the transfer case or how it all is supposed to work, just know I need it back working. Any help is greatly appreciated. its a 1996 shuttle shift. Wnen engaged with wheels off the groung you can see it trying to turn but its very weak.

Replies19
  1. #1A Spence2014-08-26 06:28

    Help anyone?

  2. #2CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-26 21:08

    Hello there. I wonder if your wheels are turning very slowly because the brakes are slightly applied and the switch is in the two wheel drive four wheel brake setting. Does your machine have the three settings? 18.3 With the switch in the '2WD/2W(O)' position only the rear wheels should turn (even with the brake pedal slightly depressed). 18.4 With the switch in the '2WD/4W(O)' position only the rear wheels should turn, however, when the brake pedal is slightly depressed, 4WD will engage and the front wheels should turn. 18.5 With the switch in the '4WD/4W(O)' position both the front and rear wheels should turn.

  3. #3A Spence2014-08-27 06:17

    Yes, it does have 3 settings. I have not checked the center setting (2WD/4W(O) as I have never used that one but will check it. In the last setting with 4WD/4WD(O), thats where they try to slightly turn. Do you know what happens inside the trans once the solenoid on the outside is energized with the switch? I cant find anything on it so that is as far as I have checked. thanks

  4. #4CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-27 20:16

    what is the serial number?

  5. #5CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-27 20:36
  6. #6CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-27 20:38
  7. #7CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-27 20:40

    hopefully this helps. But again this is for series 1 214. I don't know when they switched to series two so just send me the complete serial number and i'll look up the operational diagram for you.

  8. #8A Spence2014-08-28 06:06

    This is a very big help. Got busy yesterday and did not see the post till this morning but I will get the SN tonight, T think the last #'s are 422902 but I will check. I bought it is April 1996.. thanks a lot for your help. Where are you getting your info? Looks like I need a manual or whatever you have. Again, thanks

  9. #9CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-28 20:01

    that is "top secret" JCB stuff lol. I will look up the proper diagram when you send me the serial number. Its labour day weekend here in the great white north so it will be sometime next week! :drinkup :canada:canada

  10. #10CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-09-05 20:23

    how did you make out with it?

  11. #11A Spence2014-09-06 05:00

    Solenoid at transfer case was bad. Just got it yesterday. If it stops raining I am going to install it today. Hope that's all it was. Thanks for all the help.

  12. #12A Spence2014-09-06 20:32

    4 Wheel drive is working again. Thanks to the help on this forum. One problem left now my self leveling front bucket does not work, wont engage. The switch that stops it that is mounted on the lift ram seems to be working, it just wont work when I pull the lever all the way to the left. Is that operated by 12 v?

  13. #13CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-09-11 19:21

    Did you figure it out? or do you still require help? I didn't know it had automatic self leveling.

  14. #14A Spence2014-09-11 20:47

    Yes Sir, it does the return to level automatically when you pull the lever all the way over towards the seat. I think the switch that stops it is working, I used a meter and have continuity and then open when switch is operated. It just will not work to get started. Sorry I dont know all the terminology to explain the symptoms but it just does not work. Just curious what activated it to make it work so I could start checking. Thanks Andy

  15. #15CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-09-18 13:52

    Does the bucket level and the loader drop? This is return to dig circuit. I can't find anything on a self leveling system so I think its the return to dig circuit.

  16. #16A Spence2014-09-18 14:09

    I think you are correct but I dont remember the loader dropping, only the return to level. When it was working you pull the lever to towards the seat and it would lock in place until the switch on the arm made contact with the small steel bar (which was level) hen it unlocked. I have not checked close but the only wires I see attached to it is the ones at the bottom that goes to the switch that stops it at the level point. I will check the top ov the valve to try to see what makes it activate. Thanks for your help.

  17. #17CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-09-18 17:18

    I'll look into it for you.

  18. #18AlterN8or2020-05-11 17:30

    Does anyone have info for a series 3 with similar issues? Solenoid has power and seems to engage but no 4WD...what is the replacement part number for the 4WD solenoid if that is the likely culprit?

  19. #19Milos 1232025-08-22 17:30

    Did you solve it ?