I have a case 580l series 2 that is about to drive me crazy! When you attempt to start the machine the voltage drops to about 10 volts which will not actuate the fuel solenoid. I have replaced ignition switch ,starter and checked the battery and all connections and grounds that I can find. I have about 5 jobs to do with this machine and would sure be thankful for any help that I could get. The machine
where are you measuring that voltage drop? Describe your test procedure please.That drop should not be hard to trace. Are you sure the fuel solenoid is good?It should actuate at 10 V and if it's the series 2 with the Bosch pump the solenoids were an issue. The start windings would fail but the hold windings were good, see if it will start if you hold the fuel linkage ahead by hand and stay running once the engine is running. Many times I have used a tarp strap to keep customers on the job till the machine could be spared. Try to read the pull in voltage on the 3 terminal wire at the pump solenoid connection cranking and report back.
Second that question, where are you reading the voltage drop? Did you actually load test the battery?
We checked the voltage at the battery and at the wires going to the solenoid with the solenoid unplugged. I am able to actuate the solenoid with a small 12v motorcycle battery. I am puzzled because the engine turns over fine. Also have tried a new solenoid because I had one to fail earlier. Thanks for the reply, I need to get this thing going badly. I don`t use it a lot but when I need it I need it badly.
So what was the voltage at the battery when cranking? And at the starter solenoid lug?
Before cranking 12.2 volts. When cranking 10 volts
That doesn't sound like an outrageous drop to me. Especially if the engine is cranking fine. 10V is plenty to activate the fuel shutoff solenoid I think you have other issues.
If you're getting 10 volts at the actual battery posts you have a bad cell.