Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 John Deere 310D 4×4 Backhoe Won’t Move

Temu ยท 2021-06-25 22:22

Engine starts, hydraulics all work, but no forward or reverse. Where to begin? Stopped by a friends house and that's what he told me (posting for him). He had been using it prior to this failure. He suspects electrical, is that a possibility, solenoid/reverser issue??? Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1Temu2021-06-26 13:33

    Dug up this old thread, guess we will start here HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Finca SDR2021-06-26 14:34

    Sounds like a solenoid issue to me. Either the clutch cutout or fnr solenoids will cause that. Mechanical problems are a little more spectacular than simply "no response" in my experience

  3. #3JL Sargent2021-06-26 14:59

    First things first, does the brake light turn off?

  4. #4jimg9842021-06-26 16:27

    dump valve is used when dumping front bucket, when it is used, the dump valve will stop hydrs for movement for tractor

  5. #5mg23612021-06-27 06:04

    Check the fuses first. Then check the clutch cutout switches next. That is the buttons on the shift lever and the loader lever.

  6. #6Temu2021-06-27 07:41

    I've not been able to help him yet, but he did send me this after all your inputs: "My brother who is a Cadillac service foreman and electrical guru helped me eliminate a few possibilities and I have power through the forward/neutral/ reverse switch and to the solenoid so far."

  7. #7Finca SDR2021-06-27 10:09

    I had a sticky clutch cutout solenoid that would get stuck open. I'd just be stuck there with no movement whatsoever. If I gave it a good smack on the topnut with a 19mm wrench it'd usually free up but I had to buy a new one eventually. Electric wasn't the issue, just a sticky plunger doohicky

  8. #8Temu2021-06-28 21:11

    Electric coil for the reverser solenoid, but the rod they go on doesn't move.

  9. #9Finca SDR2021-06-29 21:38

    Broken tractor sells new ones for a good price