Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1997 Cat 950F suddenly crawling at high RPM in every gear.

Kurt Montandon · 2024-12-15 17:05

I was running our Cat 950F yesterday doing snow removal, and it was humming along just fine. Then, after pushing through some heavy material for a long stretch, it suddenly refused to move at a normal speed at any gear. In first it barely crawls, and in every other gear it moves at a walking speed even as the RPM goes up to 2500+. All fluids are at proper operating levels, and it's not overheating. I tried again this morning, and it did the same thing, even while the engine had been running for less than twenty minutes. Being able to run up the engine makes me think it's not a fuel flow problem, so I'm mystified at this point. It shifts cleanly, and the engine revs fine, it just doesn't GO while in gear.

Replies4
  1. #1DB22024-12-15 18:27

    Serial number would help. I suspect a solenoid on the transmission control. How does the oil look/smell ?

  2. #2Nige2024-12-15 18:27

    Wot he said. Is the transmission oil dark in colour.? Does it smell burned.?

  3. #3Kurt Montandon2024-12-15 23:14

    I'll check the oil when I get back out in the morning. I can feel it shifting when I select a new gear, it just seems to have very little effect on the speed.

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2024-12-15 23:44

    neutral pedal returning the whole way up ??