Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1997 JCB 212S?

AndyM · 2024-05-31 00:06

OK, so the newest pretty girl is a 1997 JCb 212S with 3300 hours. It's one of those funny ducks with the two post stabilizers. What's the skinny on these machines? I've only seen them when I'm out of the USA, but they sure have made a bunch of them, 'cause they're everywhere. To my advisors here on this site, is this a good choice or a headache? Easy to run, stable? Machine is clean and appears well maintained; Please advise and of course, thank you for your time on my behalf....

Replies8
  1. #1AndyM2024-06-01 19:17

    SO, in the interim, I am looking at a JD 110 TBL with 2200 hrs. on it. Full cab. Municipal machine. The only good and bad is it has 'landscape' tires, not those big ol' knobby ones, which tells me it was used mostly by parks and golf courses and the like. It's 4 X 4 and there's nothin but cobble where it's gonna live and work here in NV. Two questions: do these machines live up to their lofty billing? and what should I be looking at specifically that goes bad on these machines... All advice is welcome and appreciated.

  2. #2Tags2024-06-02 11:40

    They were good machines for their size. Things to look out for - Check out where the front loader is bolted to frame/transmission and make sure the bolts aren’t loose or missing or signs they had been loose, if the mounts are broken or cracked it is not an easy fix. The pedals that drive it have pentometers and these can be finicky since they run through a controller. Not sure many parts or service is available through Deere anymore since it is an older machine and never really got very popular compared to the Kubota equivalents. If it doesn’t have the three point hitch, the pieces are expensive and not easily found Not saying it’s a bad machine, had one myself when they first came out. Put a cab on mine as well. Also, check to see if it has the belly skid plate, if not find one or have one fabricated, there are lots of hoses and such on her belly. It also depends on what you’re plans are for it, a full size machine may be better for you in the long run, most of the 310/410 series are pretty tough units and there are lots of em out there.

  3. #3AndyM2024-06-02 12:05

    Great advice Tags! Thank you so very much. Did have a 410, turbo, cab, 4 X 4 myself. Great machine and kicking myself for selling it (bigger than I needed, tho'...)

  4. #4Tags2024-06-02 15:58

    Duplicate post

  5. #5AndyM2024-06-03 14:48

    Well, I did gone out and bought the JD 110; Bolts to the front loader are tight and right (thank you Tags) and no skid plate, so I will be considering options for that as well. It's got 2200 hrs. on it, but I intend to clean it up, change all the filters and oil. Any other things I might want to do before I haul it out to the desert? All advice is welcome. And as always, a big thank you for the help...

  6. #6HarleyHappy2024-06-04 10:07

    Nice machine. If you want to change tires, list yours on CL, take pictures while they are on the machine. Go to Simpletire, I just scored a set of rears for 803 bucks shipped. Be patient with the site and just wait for the right price

  7. #7AndyM2024-06-04 10:17

    Harley: great advice, thank you. Presently having a mechanic go over the A/C and to inspect the bell housing issues that occur with these 110's and I'm off to the races. (municipal machine) BTW, paid $26K for it plus shipping 400 (loaded) miles. Question: Are these 'turf' tires tough enough for the short term? I'm in a cobble rock area and have concerns about bruising/mouses; no mud out in the desert... AndyM

  8. #8HarleyHappy2024-06-05 09:07

    If you’re not in the mud, as long as the ply rating is enough, which I’m sure it is, hoe away. You may find those tires are just fine for your conditions. I wish I could run those tires half the time, if not more.