Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 416c cat backhoe, tans fluid type?

Dougie G ยท 2018-07-20 16:09

Hello, I have a 1998 416c it cat 4x4. What fluid is used in the transmission? It looks like hydraulic oil. I don't have a manual. I heated it up to about 210 deg for a short while before I noticed it. I'm a little worried about that. It was a hot day, and I was going up a very long hill on road, in third. As soon as I noticed, I geared down to second and the the temperature went down immediately. I think I checked the right dip stick. I checked the one beside the hydraulic dip stick. Any help would be appreciated. Doug

Replies12
  1. #1heymccall2018-07-20 16:17

    TO4 spec 10W. Change the spin on transmission filter Separate the cooling stack and flush out all debris. Ensure alternator belt is tight. Inspect air conditioner brackets for fractures.

  2. #2Nige2018-07-20 17:09

    In response to your not having a manual, are you aware that you can download a pdf copy from Cat's website for about $45. Loads of useful information in it regarding maintenance and lots more. The website is not 100% intuitive so if you have problems post back and I'll try to walk you through it. You will need your machine Serial Number https://catpublications.com/

  3. #3Dougie G2018-07-20 17:16

    - I don't think I have air-conditioning.

  4. #4Dougie G2018-07-20 17:19

    I didn't know that. I used to have two manuals and hand books and parts manual but lost them all in a house fire. The serial # is; 1WR093918

  5. #5Dougie G2018-07-20 17:20

    Thank You

  6. #6Nige2018-07-20 17:42

    I have to apologize, the manual for your 416C is actually $66 for a downloadable pdf. Go to the link I posted above and put SEBU6873 in the search box. It applies to all machines of S/N-prefix 1WR. If you want a Parts Manual ($89) then you'll need to clarify your Serial Number. There should only be 5 digits after the "1WR", not 6. If your S/N is below 1WR08115, search for SEBP2549, if it is 1WR08116 or higher, search for SEBP2888.

  7. #7Dougie G2018-07-25 17:00

    Does anyone know what a cooling stack is?

  8. #8heymccall2018-07-25 17:12

    The radiator/ hydraulic cooler/ air conditioning condenser. Debris gets trapped between them, driving temperatures up higher than normal. All of my C series backhoes need the coolers/ radiator leaned apart and cleaned, between and through, every couple thousand hours.

  9. #9Nige2018-07-25 17:13

    The "cooling stack" is the combination of radiator, oil cooler, and A/C condenser. The way it is assembled makes it almost impossible to clean without removing it and separating the 3 component parts. There are 2 separate procedures, one to remove the unit, the other to disassemble it. Both are attached below.

  10. #10heymccall2018-07-25 17:19

    With the side covers off, there are enough side openings between the coolers to see if debris is trapped in there.

  11. #11Dougie G2018-07-25 18:34

    Thank You

  12. #12Dougie G2018-07-25 18:35

    Thank You